1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB BerlinettaSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Coachwork
Scaglietti Aluminum

Type
Competition Berlinetta

Chassis No.
1953/GT

Engine No.
1953/GT

Completed
June 28th, 1960

This Ferrari was the 20th example of 165 units completed with both aluminum and steel coachwork by Carrozzeria Scaglietti. This particular example was ordered new by Ferrari client, Dr. Cesare Marchi of Florence, Italy in the early Spring of 1960. While not a professional racing driver, he did however request a "high specification" pure competition example but road registered. On June 28th, 1960, the Ferrari Factory issued a Certificato d'Origine for this car.

Little is known of Dr. Marchi's initial use of the car. It was listed as being used in local Italian events as well as "hill-climbs from 1960 until his sale of the car and subsequent importation by Dr. Hamilton Kelly in 1972. Subsequent owners in the USA were, Lloyd Hopkins and then to another Los Angeles owner.

During the next owner's tenure with the car it was involved in a road accident that damaged the front right wing and lower grill area. At the time, the repair expenses were estimated to be in excess of $1000 US dollars and the owner determined at the time the value of the car did not warrant immediate repairs. (Because this car was initially not repaired there were rumors that the car was badly damaged and a detailed investigation into these rumors in the early 1990s determined the actual damage was quite mild. At the time the car's value simply did not justify the repairs.)

After the accident Dr. Cliff Cummins a prominent Los Angeles based radiologist contacted the owner and arranged to purchase the engine as a spare for his own Ferrari SWB. Shortly thereafter he agreed to sell the engine to Ed Niles a well known Los Angeles attorney and prominent Ferrari Collector. Niles had a head gasket problem with his Ferrari Tour de France, s/n 0515/GT and used the engine from 1953/GT for a short period of time until a full and proper restoration of 0515/GT saw its original engine being refitted. The now redundant SWB engine was in turn sold to Niles's friend and fellow Ferrari collector, Dr. Robert Bodin in Minnesota.

Meanwhile the car still unprepared and in storage was eventually sold to a Swiss Expatriate, Mr. Binswanger of Atlanta, Georgia. While owned by Binswanger the car remained in long-term storage un-restored and minus an engine.

In the Fall of 1991 the car was purchased by David Livingston of Seattle, Washington and then sent to Ferrari specialist Wayne Obrey and his team of craftsman at Motion Products in Neenah, Wisconsin. Once there, it was given a complete restoration and finished in yellow with a black interior.

While still undergoing restoration, Livingston traded the car to Duncan Hamilton & Co in England. Hamilton then contracted with Terry Hoyle and Bob Houghton for a well prepared correct type (Tipo 168) 250GT Lusso engine which was then stamped to match the car's chassis number. The engine was then shipped to Motion Products and fitted to the car.

As soon as the restoration was completed, the car was delivered by Motion Products to Air France and exported to the UK in March of 1994.

The car made its new debut in April of that year at the Techno Classica show in Essen, Germany. The car was on display by Hamilton with an asking price of $1,250,000.

In June of that same year the car was purchased by Symbolic Motor Car Company of La Jolla, California and offered for sale with an asking price of $795,000. In July of 1994 this car was sold by Symbolic to Robert C. Rapp of Greensboro, North Carolina.

The car was entered on Rapp's behalf at the 30th Annual Ferrari Club of America Meeting and International Concours at Hyatt Hotel and Golf Resort in Monterey, California. Rapp had not yet seen the car and after collecting the car for the first time was pleased to see that the car had taken a 2nd in class award.

Two years later in May of 1996, Rapp traded the car back to Symbolic on the purchase of a new Ferrari 333SP s/n 006.

The car was then offered by Symbolic for $995,000 and in January of 1997, Symbolic sold this car to Kentaro Kato of Hokkaido, Japan. The selling price at that time was $900,000.

In 1999, Mr. Kato began selling of the cars from his museum and the car passed once again through the hand of Duncan Hamilton & Co. Shortly thereafter it was purchased by Taizou Shimano and the car was back once again in Japan. This car remained with Shimano San until July of 2007 when for the third time it was purchased by Symbolic Motor Car Company.

Reference Number 11046

as of 7/10/2007

Overview
Car 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta
VIN 1953GT 
Exterior / Interior Color      Yellow /      Black 
Configuration Left Hand Drive (LHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
Options Exterior: Wire wheels
Interior: Leather interior, Wooden steering wheel 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car