1951 Ferrari 195 Inter Touring BerlinettaSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Estimate: $400,000-$600,000 US

AUCTION RESULTS: Lot was Sold at a price of $429,000

Specifications:
130bhp 2,341cc 60 degree alloy V12 with dual overhead cams and 12 port heads, single Weber 32DCF downdraught carburetion, five-speed manual transmission with reverse, front suspension by transverse leaf spring and lower A-arm with Houdaille lever action shock absorbers, rear suspension by semi-elliptic leaf springs with lever action shock absorbers and two trailing arms, four-wheel hydraulic vented drum brakes and cable- operated hand brake to the rear wheels. Wheelbase: 2500mm (98.5")

By 1950 Ferrari was sufficiently established to concentrate part of his production directly towards customers who would pay well for an exclusive road going car. He realized that with the prestige his V12-engined racing cars had achieved, he could sell very exclusive road going cars, which would hopefully help pay for Scuderia Ferrari ’ s racing activities.

Introduced in 1950, the 195 was the newest Ferrari in the continual evolution of the marque at the time, utilizing a chassis that was typically Ferrari, with two oval longerons being cross-braced by more oval tubing. The front suspension was by unequal length wishbones with an anti-roll bar and transverse springs. At the rear, semi- elliptic springs supported a solid rear axle, which was well located by upper and lower pairs of radius arms. Braking was taken care of by huge 12 inch, hydraulically operated aluminum drums with steel liners. Borrani wire wheels were standard. Most Inters weighed only about 2,200lbs.

According to the British weekly Autosport, the 195 was capable of 0-105 kph (0-60mph) in under 10 seconds, a remarkable result for the period. The same magazine reported reaching nearly 200kph on several occasions. In the accompanying article, they noted that the new 195 was “ … a truly beautiful vehicle and is a first class example of the modern Italian specialist coachbuilder ’ s art. Whilst possessing a superb road performance, it has the comfort and manners of a luxurious family saloon ” .

Introduced almost simultaneously with the 212, the 195 did not see a great deal of competition use as the 212 ’ s larger displacement offered a slight advantage. Nonethless, any Ferrari was suitable for competition, and indeed, several 195s fared quite well in international competition. The most notable of these was another Touring bodied 195 which was driven to victory in the 1950 Mille Miglia by Gianinno Marzotto. The same car led at Le Mans before being sidelined by a failed generator mount.

Racing victories aside, the real purpose of the 195 Inter was to provide a suitable mount for the exquisite automotive artistry of Touring, Vignale, Ghia, Pinin Farina and the others. Its longer wheelbase and increased power output made it ideally suited to the task.

Carrozzeria Touring Founded in 1926 by Felice Bianchi Anderloni and Gaetano Ponzoni in Milan, Touring was in the heart of the Italian automotive world. Situated near Isotta Fraschini and Alfa Romeo, and later not far from Ferrari and Lamborghini, Touring was ideally situated. Of course, it was the company ’ s designs, not its location, that brought in the business.

The design that launched Touring ’ s worldwide reputation was the Isotta Fraschini “ Flying Star ” . It was sleek and dramatic, featuring a daring beltline that seemed to dip almost to the chassis, accented by a chrome spear. It was unforgettable, a sensational new look that captivated the automotive world.

Perhaps equally important for the future of Touring was their decision to license Weymann ’ s system of constructing bodies, which utilized lightweight frames with fabric covers. The concept inspired Touring ’ s own method of lightweight construction – Superleggera – which utilized a framework of lightweight tubing covered in light alloy panels. Developed from aircraft construction, it proved equally successful in automotive construction. Anderloni died in 1948, but his son Carlo quickly assumed control of the company, although under the guidance of his father ’ s partner, Ponzoni. Among the first postwar clients was Ferrari, for whom Touring designed the Barchetta, and its closed cousin, the Berlinetta offered here.

Provenance
0081S was completed on October 2nd, 1950, finished in a lovely metallic gold (Oro Metallizzato). On October 31st it was sold to Società AICAR (Agenzia Internazionale Commercio Auto Ricambi), of Milan. It was the first of perhaps 25 examples of the highly regarded 195 series built; it is also one of just three executed by Touring (the others being 0085S and 0123S).

On April 4th - 15th, 1951 the car was shown by AICAR on behalf of Ferrari at the 33rd Annual Torino motor show, held at Parco Valentino. Following the show, on May 4, 1951, 0081S was sold by Carrozzeria Superleggera Aerlux of Milan through AICAR to its second owner, Giuseppe Fiocchi of Lecco, Italy, and registered on Italian license plates from the Como area, “ CO 32210 ” . Fiocchi kept the car for a little over three years before passing it on to third owner Francesco Nissotti in Adria- Rovigo, on November 24, 1954, and re-registered on Italian license plates from Rovigo, “ RO 17125 ” . Two years later, on October 6, 1955, Nissotti sold the car to Donald Maynard, a serviceman stationed at the USAF base at Campofarmido in Udine. Maynard re-registered the car on February 9, 1956 on Udine plates “ UD 32643 ” . Upon his return to the U.S. in 1959, Maynard brought the car home with him. Several owners followed in the 1960s and early 1970s, including Louis Axtman, of Stow, VT (who repainted the car in red), followed by NH resident John Bateman, Richard Walsh (Haverhill, MA), Wyatt Coleman, (Bethel, VT), and then to his mechanic Klaus Steinbruk.

In 1974, Steinbruk sold 0081S to Richard Little, of Sudbury, MA. Eventually, Little – an engineer by profession – began an exhaustive restoration. His dedication to detail is evident in the workmanship of the chassis, the organization of the parts, and the extensive documentation (approximately 8 ” ) that accompanies the car. The vendor purchased the car in 2006 and proceeded to get it running and driving before deciding to offer it for sale. Well known among Ferrari enthusiasts, 0081S is also notable for having been featured on page 59 of Angelo Tito Anselmi's book Ferrari Tipo 166. In addition, copies of the original Ferrari build sheets accompany the sale.

Condition During Little ’ s ownership, he oversaw the disassembly and mechanical restoration of the car. Upon examination of the car and the build documents, it has been verified that the car is highly original, including the correct, numbers matching body, chassis, engine, transmission, and rear axle. Full photo documentation of the disassembly of the car wil be included with the car, which the vendor believes to be complete and correct, with all parts meticulously tagged and stored. It should be noted that the original Touring body number tag accompanies the car, and many of the hand crafted parts are stamped with the body number. In particular, all the important Touring trim pieces, such as mirrors, badges, and other accents are in excellent original condition.

The body work has been stripped to bare metal, revealing little or no significant damage. Minor aluminum repairs have been made as needed, and the sheet metal left uncovered to make the quality of the bodywork evident. The upholstery – almost certainly original to the car – is all present and suitable for restoration or reinstallation.

A comprehensive and professional mechanical restoration was carried out by KTR Engineering in Aver, MA under Little ’ s supervision, including full engine rebuild, all new or rebuilt suspension, brakes, etc. An extensive dossier on the work performed includes more than $57,000 in receipts, along with dynamometer records to verify the performance of the engine. Although clearly a cosmetic restoration remains to be done, the car is in running and driving condition today.

Summary
With the difficult and technical aspects of the restoration completed to the highest standards, the remaining work is largely cosmetic, and consequently offers the next keeper the option of having a superlative touring car or a concours winner of the first order. The most interesting aspects of restoration – including selection of colors and finishes – await the choices of the next owner. At the same time, the self evident quality of the coachwork ensures that the costs should be both predictable and reasonable.

Upon completion, 0081S will represent one of the most important remaining examples of the coachbuilt road- going Ferrari. Touring was the undisputed master of the period, producing exquisite shapes and lovely lines from their iconic Barchettas to this, the first 195 Berlinetta – and the car chosen to represent the prancing horse marque at the 1951 Turin Auto Show.

Reference Number 11481

as of 7/21/2007

Overview
Car 1951 Ferrari 195 Inter Touring Berlinetta
VIN 0081S 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car