1954 Aston Martin DB2/4 SaloonSOLD

Saloon

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: KBD 236
Engine No: VB6E/50/1275
CC: 2580
Colour: Grey
Trim Colour: Dark Red
MOT: None

Reference Number 119236

as of 3/18/2011

Overview
Car 1954 Aston Martin DB2/4 Saloon
VIN LML/656 
Mileage 64,000 miles 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

1947 was the year that the floundering British marques of Aston Martin and Lagonda were both saved from oblivion by wealthy Yorkshire industrialist David Brown, who bought and combined them to create Aston Martin Lagonda. The first product of the marriage was the 2-litre Sports of which only thirteen examples plus a chassis were produced. Retrospectively dubbed the DB1, the model nevertheless laid the foundation of an aspirational line of cars that continues to this day with the DB9.

 

It was the DB2 that really set the scene, however. First seen in prototype form at Le Mans in 1949, the newcomer was officially launched at the New York Motor Show of April 1950. It then shot to prominence a mere two months later when, with three cars hastily snatched from the production line, the Works team finished first and second in class at Le Mans and won the Index of Performance. As a result of this magnificent achievement, demand greatly outweighed supply for some time to come. During a production run of three years, a total of 411 DB2s left the Feltham factory, 309 of which were two-seater Fixed-Head Coupes and 102 were Drophead Coupes.

 

Next came the DB2/4 that was introduced to the public at the 1953 London Motor Show. Its significant developments were: the addition of a small rear seat that turned the car into a 2 2; the raised roofline to provide extra headroom for rear seat passengers and the curved, single-piece windscreen. Far more momentous, though, was the Aston's opening tailgate which we now appreciate made the DB2/4 the world's first 'hatchback'.

 

As with the DB2, the whole front body section hinged forward to provide access to the engine and front suspension, which was independent by coil springs and trailing links; that at the rear comprised a live axle with parallel radius arms and coil springs. Braking was by 12-inch Girling drum units all round. The heart of the pre-1954 versions was the DOHC 2.6-litre straight-six engine designed by Willie Watson (under the watchful eye of no less a master than W O Bentley) and acquired by David Brown as part of the Lagonda package. The 125bhp on tap was sufficient to accelerate the newcomer to 60 mph in under 12 seconds and on to a top speed of around 116mph. Examples (nowadays known as MKIs) built prior to the facelift model of 1955 totalled 565, of which 463 were Fixed Head Coupes and 102 were Drophead Coupes.

 

The 'barn find' DB2/4 being sold is a 1954 car finished in Grey with a Dark Red leather interior. A right-hand drive model showing just 64,000 miles on the odometer, it has been off the road for 42 years, having been last MOT'd in 1969! The history file confirms just two keepers to date - the first having owned it from new until 1966. 'KBD 236' comes with original paperwork and handbook and is said to be 'complete' with 'sound' bodywork, 'free' engine and 'old' paintwork.

 

This splendid time warp Aston Martin provides a very rare opportunity to purchase a little used, seemingly totally unmolested example of one of the great British classics.