1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Drophead Sedanca Coupe by Gurney NuttingSOLD
See all the Images for this Car

Reference Number 119467

as of 3/21/2011

Overview
Car 1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Drophead Sedanca Coupe by Gurney Nutting
VIN 147RY 
Exterior / Interior Color      White /      Blue 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

1934 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Drophead Sedanca Coupe by Gurney Nutting

 

The Rolls-Royce Phantom II was the last model designed by Henry Royce before his death in 1933. Introduced in September 1929, it replaced the New Phantom, which is now referred to as the "Phantom I." The PII differed from its predecessor in both appearance and chassis, but the OHV 7,668-cc engine remained much the same. The PI's cantilever rear springs were replaced by semi-elliptics, and the chassis rode much lower. The gearbox was now mounted directly to the engine, but retained right-hand gear change, and synchromesh gears were introduced for the top two speeds. Central chassis lubrication, used for some years by the American Rolls-Royce operation in Springfield, Massachusetts, was adopted. In 1933, engine compression was raised, and the cars were given adjustable shock absorbers that could be controlled from the steering column.

 

J. Gurney Nutting founded his coachbuilding firm in 1919 and quickly gained a reputation for excellent quality. The first work for Rolls-Royce was a Sedanca DeVille in 1925, a car so influential that many notable clients placed orders including King George V's three sons, two of whom would later become King.

 

147RY was last owned by Mr. Jack Tallman who found it in a barn in northeastern Ohio in April, 1964. He drove it 400 miles to his home in Illinois. In remarkably good condition for a barn find, it has since been given a complete refurbishment in white, with contrasting blue accent on the windows and belt moldings. The interior is done in blue leather with matching blue carpets. The burl walnut dash is in very good condition, and the steering wheel and dashboard lettering were recently renewed by the Frawley Company, Rolls-Royce specialists in Parkesburg, Pennsylvania.

 

The last photo is taken from the book The Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental by Raymond Gentile.