1936 Lagonda LG45 Pillarless SaloonSOLD

Saloon

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: CLW 503
Engine No: T.B.A.
CC: 4500
Colour: Grey
Trim Colour: Blue
MOT: None

Reference Number 119996

as of 3/26/2011

Overview
Car 1936 Lagonda LG45 Pillarless Saloon
VIN 12014 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Notable as the first Lagonda design to be overseen by legendary engineer - and recently appointed technical director of LG Motors (Staines) Ltd - W.O. Bentley, the LG45 was introduced in late September 1935. Although, sharing the same 10ft 9in wheelbase as its M45 Rapide and M45A predecessors, the newcomer boasted significantly reduced levels of noise, vibration and harshness. A massive ladder-frame channel-section affair, its chassis featured repositioned cross members (to liberate more rear legroom), softer semi-elliptic road springs, adjustable hydraulic shock absorbers, two prefabricated bulkheads and a harmonic stabilising front bumper. While other refinements included a Smiths 'Jackall' system (the controls of which were normally housed in a side-mounted 'dummy' spare wheel cover), one-shot Tecalemit lubrication and Girling four-wheel drum brakes.

 

Powered by a modified version of the redoubtable 4453cc Meadows OHV straight-six engine (which had earned Lagonda victory in that year's Le Mans 24-hour race), the LG45 further benefited from a part synchromesh four-speed manual gearbox and strong Borg and Beck clutch. Initially available in saloon, tourer, drophead coupe or bare chassis guises, the model was among the fastest road cars of its generation (with most closed variants being capable of over 90mph and some open ones reputedly topping 100mph). Despite a fantastic 1936 season that saw four Fox & Nicholl prepared Works racers distinguish themselves in the French Grand Prix (1st in class), Belgian Grand Prix (1st in class), Ards Tourist Trophy (2nd in class) and BRDC 500 Mile Race (3rd overall), the LG45 was phased out of production the following year after some 278 had been made (though, 150 or so are thought to have survived to this day).

 

Clothed with the factory's own decidedly elegant four-door pillarless saloon coachwork, the LG45 on offer - car number 12014 - is a notably early example. Apart from the DVLA's records indicating that it was road registered as `CLW 503' by London County Council on 24th 1936, the Lagonda's early life remains a mystery. Dry stored since entering the current ownership some thirty odd years ago, car number 12014 appears to be substantially complete. The vendor informs us his original intention was to discard its four-door saloon coachwork in favour of a two-door Avon tourer body that he acquired around the same time. Overtaken by events, the proposed transplant never happened (though, the Avon body is available for purchase via separate negotiation). Every `barn find' is exciting but some are a little more special than others. With its once Grey paintwork and Blue leather upholstery obscured by varying thicknesses of dust, this slumbering Lagonda LG45 looks well worth reviving. In need of extensive restoration, it nevertheless has the makings of rewarding project.