1954 Lancia D24 Sports-Racing CarSOLD

From a well-known private collection, one of six existent

See all the Images for this Car
There are two surviving original cars, one in private US hands and the other in a major European museum. This car is one of four reconstructed in the 1980s by Luciano Basso, the Lancia Museum’s official restorer and by Guido Rosani, a highly regarded engineer whose father was a director of Lancia in the 1950s. In constructing the four D24s, built exactly to the original drawings, Basso and Rosani had the help and support of Lancia and Pininfarina. This car uses the sole surviving 3.8 litre engine, numbered D25 0001. It is UK road registered and has UK (old style) FIA papers.

The car has been maintained for the last 15 years by well-known race engineers Jim Stokes Workshops Limited who have developed it into a totally reliable race winner which is equally capable of being used for a trip to the local pub or concours d’élégance. Recent work includes overhaul of the transaxle, steering, front suspension and front and rear brakes.

This magnificent and highly useable sports racing car will give years of reliable pleasure to its new owner both on the road and in competition.

Reference Number 12173

as of 8/11/2007

Overview
Car 1954 Lancia D24 Sports-Racing Car
VIN D24R 0002 
Exterior / Interior Color      Dark Red /      Black 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

We are pleased to offer this spectacular, highly competitive, fully developed and completely reliable Lancia D24 which has been extensively and successfully campaigned in international historic events by its owner over the last 15 years. The car has never been offered for sale before. It has competed successfully five times in the Carrera Panamericana in Mexico (twice class winner, twice in the top ten overall, always in the top twenty overall), the Targa Florio, the Targa Tasmania, the Coppa d’Oro delle Dolomiti, the Modena Cento Ore and the Ollon-Villars Hillclimb. The car has taken part in almost every Goodwood Festival of Speed and Goodwood Revival, winning its class in the Festival of Speed and setting fastest lap and coming third in the Goodwood Revival’s race for ‘50s sports cars. It has never failed to finish an event and has often won its class and been placed high in the overall classification although competing against much younger machinery. As in period, the D24 has been very much quicker and nimbler than any other comparable front-engined, drum braked car of the same age from Italy, England or Germany.

 

Encouraged by the second place overall of a little and almost standard 2 litre Aurelia B20GT in the 1951 Mille Miglia (finishing only a short distance behind Villoresi’s 4.1 litre Ferrari) Lancia decided to develop a purpose built sports-racer. After some success in 1953 with the D20 Coupé (3rd in the Mille Miglia and 1st in the Targa Florio), Lancia produced the D24, an entirely new design, built regardless of cost, which proceeded to sweep the board in the major sports car races, winning the Carrera Panamericana (first, second and third: Fangio, Taruffi and Castellotti), the Giro di Sicilia (Taruffi), Mille Miglia (Ascari) and Targa Florio (Taruffi). The sophisticated design of the D24 was streets ahead of anything produced by rival manufacturers until the appearance of the Mercedes Benz 300 SLR in 1955. The D24 featured huge inboard front and rear drum brakes, a four cam, twin plug, dry sump V6 and a rear mounted transaxle gear box. The car had near perfect weight distribution and balance and low unsprung weight. It tipped the scales at just 900kgs, propelled by first a 3.3 litre engine producing 265bhp and then finally, as in this car, by a 3.8 litre evolution with 300bhp and much increased torque.