1969 Ferrari 512 S 512M/F Sport Prototipo SOLD

The ex-Scuderia Ferrari/ Scuderia Filipinetti/ Manfredini & Moretti - Mount Fuji-race winning

See all the Images for this Car
The gearbox (no.14), documented as ex-Moretti/ Scuderia Filipinetti, has been fully rebuilt and a new set of drive
shafts fitted (the original ones stamped ‘1022’ are available).

Car set-up has been carried out by Edi Wyss with input from driver David Franklin. This winter the original Ko n i
shocks have been overhauled and calibrated; the springs replaced; plus new discs and pads.

On 28th June 2006 the car was certified by the Ferrari factory with Certificato di Autenticità no. 249 and the chassis number returned to its original ‘1022’ which officially puts its history beyond any doubt. Since then it has been raced just once in the Ferrari Historic Challenge and is now run in and ready to race. This iconic Ferrari Sport Prototipo, driven by some of the greatest heroes of its era and with a lengthy curriculum vitae, needs only a new owner to continue its successful competition career around the world.

Reference Number 12177

as of 8/11/2007

Overview
Car 1969 Ferrari 512 S 512M/F Sport Prototipo
VIN 1022 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

The 512S and its M evolution were the very last exalted products of a long dynasty of Ferrari sports prototypes both raced by the factory and available to its customers; a line that stretched across the incredibly intense, frantic development that took place at Maranello in the 1960s, from the earliest rear/ mid-engined endurance racers such as the 196SP, 250P, 330P and short lived 1969 312P, and culminated with the 512 at a time when the merger with Fiat changed the picture and Ferrari decided to react to the Porsche 917’s surprise launch at the 1969 Geneva Salon.

Ferrari deemed the subsequent 3 litre 312PB introduced in 1971 upon the announcement of the 3 litre cap for 1972 too complex and pricey to run for privateers, so the 512s became the last of an era.

 

Soon after the 917's introduction at Geneva in March 1969 the engineering team led by Mauro Forghieri was briefed to create the 512, within rules that loosely made it a road going model. A production minimum of 25 cars, a 5 litre maximum engine capacity, two seats, a spare wheel and, voilà, an icon was born, presented at the Gatto Verde restaurant in the foothills of the Apennines above Maranello in the presence of the automotive press, Forghieri, Regazzoni, Merzario and Giunti. Its initial clean shape was, typically, to evolve very soon during development testing, with various winglets, moustaches and vents sprouting upon the gorgeous shape, curvaceous yet still fully retaining the DNA of its illustrious predecessors.