1933 Singer Nine Sports CoupeSOLD

Coupe

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: TK 8799
Engine No: 46988
CC: 972
Colour: Green / Cream
Trim Colour: Green
MOT: Aug 2011

Reference Number 126671

as of 5/19/2011

Overview
Car 1933 Singer Nine Sports Coupe
VIN YS357 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

The Singer 9 Sports was unveiled in July 1932. Penned by Birmingham-born stylist Eric Neale, its rakish bodywork was underpinned by a robust ladder-frame chassis that featured semi-elliptic leaf-sprung suspension all-round, adjustable Andre-Hartford friction dampers and four-wheel hydraulic 10-inch drum brakes. The little Singer was powered by an uprated version of the company's 972cc OHC four-cylinder engine that breathed through a pair of SU carburetters and developed some 31bhp at 4,600rpm. The unit was mated to a close-ratio four-speed manual gearbox. Reputedly capable of up to 66 mph and sustained 50mph cruising, the 9 Sports soon acquired an enviable competition pedigree. Not content with the eight premier awards it won during the Christmas 1932 London to Exeter run, the following season saw the model distinguish itself on the Monte Carlo Rally, London-to-Edinburgh Trial and Alpine Six-Day Trial. However, its crowning achievement came at that year's Le Mans 24 Hour race, when the mildly-tuned example of Barnes and Langley became the first unsupercharged sub-1000 cc British car to qualify for the Rudge-Whitworth Biennial Cup. Launched as an open four-seater Tourer, the 9 Sports could also be purchased as a two-door Fixed Head Coupe from 1933 onwards. An elegant design, the enclosed car drove with much the same verve and agility as its less weather-proof sibling. However, with two seats rather than four and a higher price tag, the 9 Sports Coupe inevitably sold in smaller numbers - indeed, there are reputed to be just six left in existence today.

 

The Singer offered is one of those survivors and has remained in its current ownership for the last sixteen years, during which time it has been regularly maintained following an extensive restoration during the 1990s. The coachwork is finished in Green over Cream and the interior trimmed in Green leather.