1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 300d (W189) Limousine Hard TopSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Mercedes-Benz Type 300d (W189) Limousine Hard Top

Reference Number 127394

as of 5/23/2011

Overview
Car 1958 Mercedes-Benz Type 300d (W189) Limousine Hard Top
VIN 189 01185 00124 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

After the destruction wreaked by the Second World War bombing raids, Daimler-Benz began rebuilding itself in 1946 by launching the 170, created in 1936 and used as a study in the early 1950s for models with the new overhead camshaft engines. Primarily with the export market in mind, Daimler-Benz designed two luxury six-cylinder saloons, the 2.2-litre 220 and the 3-litre 300. These two models, launched late in 1951, very quickly re-established Daimler-Benz?s position as a luxury car maker, while the 300 SL competition sports assured its promotion through a series of prestigious victories at an international level.

The Mercedes 300, with its majestic style and the sheer quality of its mechanical design, soon became the top vehicle in the maker?s range. Built on a robust chassis of oval tubes arranged in an X-shape, a design that went back to the 1930s together with the suspensions with four independent wheels (with attitude adjusters using electrically-controlled torsion bars), the 300 (initially with 115 horse power) marked the return of Mercedes to the super de luxe sector. This car was the basis for the 300 S/Sc and SL groups of celebrated derived models.

Aimed at official departments and major economic actors, the 300 was also a successful export. At the mechanical level, it developed into the 300b (125 hp and bigger brakes according to mass) and the 300c (new single-pivot rear suspension and automatic three-speed gear box from September 1955 instead of the manual four-speed gearbox) and then into the 300d in 1957, built on a chassis 10 cm longer in the ?Adenauer? version. Its style was slightly modernised, with larger and completely retractable windows and a new rear wing design, and its power increased from 125 to 160 hp thanks to the Bosch mechanical injection method. The total number of Mercedes 300s, all versions together, was only 11,430 between 1951 and 1962.

 

This 1958 Mercedes-Benz 300d with injection, originating from the former collection of Dr Jeanson from the Museum of Nogent l?Artaud, is an ?Adenauer? limousine without central mountings but with an opening roof and demountable rear quarter panel. Pale beige in colour, with an interior of bound ivory leather in splendid condition, and fitted carpeting, the paint has very slight cracking and patina, but the chrome is in good condition as are the white-walled tyres. Equipped with power steering, it still has its original Becker Mexico radio and splendid varnished woodwork, together with other quality finishings. Its performance is excellent and its brakes have been replaced.