1958 Austin-Healey 100/6SOLD

1958 Austin-Healey 100/6

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: DSL 107
Engine No: 26DRH58987
CC: 2639
Colour: White
Trim Colour: Red
MOT: Oct 2011

Reference Number 130002

as of 6/18/2011

Overview
Car 1958 Austin-Healey 100/6
VIN BN6-L/4041 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

OFFERED FROM A PRIVATE ENTHUSIAST'S COLLECTION

 

Donald Healey's eponymous company built a prototype two-seater sports car for display at the 1952 London Motor Show. It was based on Austin A90 Atlantic mechanicals and sported a sleek body designed by Gerry Coker and built by Tickford. It was dubbed the `Healey Hundred' (a moniker chosen to reflect the car's ability to reach 100mph), and Healey planned to build production versions at his factory in Warwick. As things transpired, the prototype captivated the public and so excited Austin's Managing Director, Leonard Lord, that he agreed to build the car in volume at Longbridge. The newcomer was renamed the Austin-Healey 100. The rest is history. The production bodyshells were made by Jensen and then transported to Longbridge where the cars were assembled alongside the A90. The early cars (code named BN1 and BN2) were equipped with the same four-cylinder 90bhp 2660cc engine as the A90. The 100 had 11-inch drum brakes all round. The front suspension was independent by coil springs while the rear featured a traditional live axle supported by semi-elliptic leaf springs. The steering was by cam and lever. The last of the 100 models, the BN4 (2 2 seater) and BN6 (2-seater) had a two-inch longer wheelbase and were powered by the six-cylinder 2639cc BMC C Series engine previously found in the Austin Westminster. Early versions gave 102bhp, but by 1957 output of the 100-Six had risen to 117bhp (thanks to the adoption of a new twelve-port cylinder head).

 

A 1958 export model BN6, `DSL 107' was reimported in 1998 and treated to an extensive refurbishment and conversion to right-hand drive, taking to the road once more in October 1999. Finished in the striking combination of White bodywork and Red interior, this handsome two-seater 100-Six is offered with 12 previous MOTs and Heritage Trust Certificate. It is taxed and MOT'd until October.