1959 Morgan 4/4SOLD

Roadster

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: 805 YUG
Engine No: 100E 419443
CC: 1172
Colour: O.E.W.
Trim Colour: Grey
MOT: June 2012

Reference Number 131865

as of 7/5/2011

Overview
Car 1959 Morgan 4/4
VIN A510 
Mileage 25,000 miles 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Introduced in October 1955, the Morgan 4/4 Series II utilised much the same chassis as its Plus 4 sibling. Equipped with independent front suspension, a live rear axle and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes, the newcomer was powered by a Ford 100E-series 1172cc engine allied to manual transmission. Road tested by Motor magazine, the 4/4 Series II proved capable of some 75.3mph but could also be had in more powerful `Competition' form. With most of the 387 made going overseas, surviving home market cars are a rarity.

 

This particular example - chassis number A510 - was supplied new via Gravely Hill Service Station, Birmingham to Mr J. Baldwin on September 1st 1959. Belonging to Gordon Howe by late 1964, it passed to Desmond Harvey the following year. In search of greater performance, Mr Harvey is thought to have had a factory class C engine installed (issued by Worcester County Council the accompanying buff logbook carries a note of the powerplant change dated May 3rd 1965). Featuring many of the same components fitted to the Series II Competition cars (of which only 37 were built), the new 100E unit boasted a finned alloy Aquaplane `Superhead', alloy Aquaplane inlet manifold and twin SU carburettors. Acquired by Mr & Mrs Hale during the late 1960s, the two-seater remained in their care until 2010. Treated to a new factory supplied chassis as part of a `ground up' restoration undertaken in 1987-1988, work also saw the engine fitted with a single Solex carburettor. Despatched to Morgan concessionaire Mike Duncan for a major service last year, chassis A510 had attention paid to its brakes, steering and tyres etc at a cost of some ú1,000 - interestingly whilst there it was reunited with former keeper Gordon Howe. Well specified, the 4/4 comes complete with an `as new' mohair soft-top, period luggage rack, Grey Connolly hide upholstery, mohair spare wheel cover, Morgan steering wheel, wooden dashboard, correct / early ivory-faced instruments, half / full tonneau covers, side screens and edged / bound carpets not to mention a large spares package comprising two engines (stripped for ease of transport), two gearboxes and all its early competition components. Entered from a private Morgan collection, the two-seater is summed-up by the vendor as follows: "Although in need of fettling and re-commissioning for regular use, chassis A510 should provide its new owner with fabulous, historic motoring". An appealing proposition, this rare 4/4 Series II is offered for sale with a large history file (original buff logbook, Morgan factory receipts dating back nearly 40 years, letter from Mrs Hale etc), recent MOT certificate and eleven months historic class (free) road tax