1957 Heinkel TrojanSOLD

Heinkel

See all the Images for this Car

The Heinkel was introduced by Germany in 1954 by 'its namesake' Professor Ernst Heinkel. Being the builder of the first rocket powered aircraft and supplying the Nazi war effort with some extremely effective machinery, Heinkel's aircraft company experienced financial problems after World War II as the need for aircraft dramatically dropped. At the time, Heinkel was already producing two-stroke engines for Saab and in 1952, also produced a scooter. Inspired by the Isetta, Ernst Heinkel then set about building his own version of the 'bubble car'. 'The Heinkel' featured an opening front that led to a bench type seat and unlike the Isetta, the steering column was static when the door was opened; despite this however, the Heinkel is said to be roomier inside than the Isetta. The last German built Heinkel was made in June 1958 (the year that Ernst Heinkel died) and it was then that the Irish Government started negotiations for a takeover bid. The bid was successful with production of the Heinkel moving to Dundalk in Ireland. In 1963, Trojan of Croydon took over the plant and production was switched to Croydon, England where they continued to make the Heinkel under the new name of the Trojan, the engines of which were still manufactured in Germany. With the Trojan later being modified to righthand drive for the UK market, production continued until 1965 when the competition against the Austin Mini put a strain on sales.

Reference Number 132008

as of 6/8/2012

Overview
Car 1957 Heinkel Trojan
VIN 303526 
Exterior / Interior Color      Silver /      Red 
Registration 158 JWN 
Configuration Left Hand Drive (LHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car