1898 Panhard et Levassor Type M2F WagonetteSOLD

Gooding & Company Pebble Beach Auctions

See all the Images for this Car
To be sold at the Gooding & Company Pebble Beach Auctions on August 20 and 21, 2011. For further details please visit www.goodingco.com or contact a vehicle specialist at 001.310.899.1960. Engine Specifications: 1,650 CC Daimler-Phoenix Vertical Twin-Cylinder Engine 90 MM Cylinder Bore, 130 MM Piston Stroke Rated 6 HP 4-Speed Manual Gearbox with Reverse Rear Wheel Contracting Band Brakes with Slipper Brake Elliptical Front Springs and Semi-Elliptical Rear Springs About this Car: Established in 1887 by RenÚ Panhard and ╔mile Levassor, Panhard et Levassor quickly became a formidable manufacturer of early automobiles. By 1890, the French company had offered its first car built around a Daimler engine license. With the continued use of Daimler engines, Panhard et Levassor could focus on other groundbreaking technology and, by 1895, they were credited with implementing the first modern transmission. That same year, two 1.2-litre Panhards finished first and second in the Paris-Bordeaux-Paris Rally. In 1898, Marquis Domenico de Pallavicino placed an order from the growing Parisian firm. As noted on the original Panhard ledgers, the order was undertaken for a 6 hp-type M2F chassis fitted with six-seat Wagonette coachwork. At an additional cost, 1408 was to be fitted with a rubberized fabric canopy and windscreen, solid rubber tires and number 52 lamps. Delivered on December 24, 1898, after road testing, the car cost an astonishing 15,085 French Francs. For that price, however, the car was supplied with gasoline, two spare gears and a training program offered to the new chauffeur. Records on the car show continued maintenance with Panhard et Levassor, as well as certain upgrades that continued into 1899. In March 1899, the car received an upright steering wheel in place of the standard fitted tiller. Little else is known about the early history of 1408 until it resurfaced some 90 years later. Having spent the majority of its life in the barn of the original owner, it became evident that the car was stored after a minor fire which appeared to have started in the burner box and had damaged the bonnet and firewall. The car, however, remained essentially complete with the exception of the canopy top. All the complicated, original bracketing remained on the car, as well as the original carburetor and hot-tube ignition. Shortly after its discovery, the Panhard changed hands to J. Boland of Dublin, Ireland and, in his ownership, the 90-year-old car received an extensive restoration. As part of the work, all the steel was stripped and the surfaces of the car were repainted to the proper red and black color combination; a full mechanical rebuild of the engine was completed with the use of new bearings and a Phoenix crank; the water pump was rebuilt; the clutch was relined in leather and the gearbox was also re- built with new bearings. By 1993, the car had been finished, including being returned to the standard tiller-steering configuration. Having once again changed hands, the Panhard found itself bound for the US. Purchased in 2002 for a significant East Coast collection, the car has benefitted from some careful restoration work and routine maintenance, which included an engine rebuild performed by Roger Steer of Brentclass Ltd., in England. Having been used throughout the past eight years for demonstrations, this Panhard is a proven runner. This Panhard et Levassor remains very original, with 1408 stamped in numerous places. It is believed that the remade bonnet and firewall are the only non-original items on the car. For an automobile of this era to remain with its original chassis, engine, coachwork, wheels and more, is significantly rare. This well-documented Panhard is a remarkably correct example that is VSCC- event eligible and ready.

Reference Number 132691

as of 12/24/2011

Overview
Car 1898 Panhard et Levassor Type M2F Wagonette
VIN (Car No.) 1408 
Exterior / Interior Color      Red /      Black 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Formerly the Property of Marquis Domenico de Pallavicino