1950 Ferrari Formula 1 166 F2 /F1SOLD
See all the Images for this Car
The above mentioned car is referenced in Giulio Schmidt, Ferrari Formula Cars, pages 20 and 21, (please note the nose of the car has been corrected in a subsequent restoration to more reflect the original nose of 1951); in Hans Tanner, 4th Edition page 95; Anthony Pritchard, Grand Prix Ferrari, pages 79 through 87; Ferrari Yearbook 1951; Jonathan Thompson, Ferrari Formula 1 cars 1948 to 1976; Dorino Serafini, Story and Legend, pages 190 and 191; Cavallino Magazine, as well as in many others.

The chassis for the car was born in 1950 as a 166 formula F1/F2 chassis. There is some evidence that Ferrari experimented with two or three different engines, the first being a 166 F2 engine with this chassis, and the motor being changed by Ferrari at different times (212/275 F1). The car was sold by Ferrari to Bracco in 1951 and later resold to Gianino Marzotto (1951/1952). Another motor was sold by Ferrari to Marzotto for this car, which is believed to be the 2.5 litre engine (normally aspirated), as the Grand Prix Formula was going to change the following year restricting the engines to 2.5 litre cars and abolishing the Formula Libra Classification for Grand Prix. This car was then later sold to Scuderia Bandentieres in Brazil. After being campaigned in South America the car was retired and then it languished for a few years in a garage in Uruguay, where it was purchased in the late sixties by Colin Crabbe from an Elias Carvallido of Montevideo. There are photographs of it at purchase time, showing the car painted silver and complete less engine. All the original chassis was intact, as well as the de Dion rear end, which indicates that this was in fact the factory team car that was driven by Serafini and others in 1951, as the Fischer car did not have the de Dion rear end. There were only three cars with this type of chassis with the de Dion made by the factory. (One is now in the Bernie Ecclestone collection, the other is in the Taraschi collection, and this car). The car was sold in about 1971 to A.J. van de Lof Holland. The original 212 F1 engine was found in Italy. The car was then photographed for the Guilo Schmidt book, Ferrari Formula Cars, in approximately 1974.
The car passed through the hands of Rudy Pass in Belgium to Juan Segimont of Madrid, Spain. In the 1980’s the car was sold to Michael Vernon in England, who sold it to Berardo Taraschi in Italy. Berardo Taraschi was famous in the fifties for racing these types of cars, and owned another car, # 116, which he had campaigned in the fifties. In the late eighties, the car was apparently owned for a while by Massimo Colombo. In 1994 the car was sold to Kentaro Kato of Hokkaido, Japan – see Cavallino # 84. (For US$ 2 million). The car competed successfully in concours events in Japan was maintained in a museum there. In 1996 the car was exhibited at the Museo Cavallino. The car appeared at the August 1998 Monterey Historic Races and was raced by Robs Lamplough.

The chassis has been inspected by Cavalliere Pasquale Cassani, who is still living, and was one of the team mechanics in 1950 and 1951 when the car was racing for Scuderia Ferrari. He confirms that the chassis is original chassis and recalls interesting stories about this car. Gisberto Leopardi, one of the engineers working for Ferrari from 1949 through the late eighties, and in 1950 and 1951 was in charge of engine development, confirms that the engine type and stampings are original for the 212 F1 Grand Prix engine, which is the type put in the car to be homologated for the following season’s configuration, meeting the new FIA requirements for Formula 1 to be 2.5 normally aspirated engines. Research indicates that this is the chassis used by Villoresi and Ascari and further research continues to be able to document definitively the races and drives for this chassis. It appears that many race drivers over the years have used this car successfully.

In 1999, the car participated in the F1 Reunion in Beverly Hills with world champion Phil Hill driving and was used by Ferrari for the presentation of a new Girrard Perregaux limited edition watch. The car then competed, winning Best of Show at a concours in Pennsylvania. In 2002 the car underwent a complete mechanical race preparation by Rob Shanahan, so that it could race at the Monaco Historic Grand Prix. It was raced successfully at the 2002 Monaco Historic Grand Prix, by the racing driver Chris Cox. The car was also taken on demonstration runs at the Goodwood Festival Of Speed 2005 event.

The car has FIA documentation and is ready to race in events such as the Shell Historic Challenge, Monaco Grand Prix and HGPCA events

Reference Number 136

as of 5/21/2006

Overview
Car 1950 Ferrari Formula 1 166 F2 /F1
VIN 102 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Partial and most probable early team race history is:

 

1950

G.P. Marseille Villoresi 19 March 1st

Coups des Petites Reims Villoresi 2 July dnf

G.P. Holland (F1 race) Ascari 23 July 3rd

G.P. Geneve Serafini 30 July 3rd

G.P. Germany Nurburgring Ascari 20 Aug 1st

Meetiet Belgium Ascari 10 Sept dnf

Circuito del Garda Ascari 15 Oct 1st

 

1951

G.P. Syracuse D. Serafini 11 March 2nd

G.P. Pau (steering problems) D. Serafini 26 March dnf

G.P. Marseille Villoresi 8 April 1st

G.P. Monza Villoresi 13 May 2nd

G.P. Torino D. Serafini 2nd

G.P. Centenario Colombiano/Genova Villoresi 20 May 1st

G.P. Rome Marzotto 10 June 3rd

G.P. Rhone Marzotto 8 July 1st

G.P. Napoli Villoresi 24 June dnf

G.P. Modena F. Gonzales Sept 2nd