1954 MG TFSOLD

Sports

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: 950 UXC
Engine No: XPAG-TF32991
CC: 1250
Colour: B.R.G.
Trim Colour: Biscuit
MOT: T.B.A.

Reference Number 141036

as of 10/22/2011

Overview
Car 1954 MG TF
VIN HDE13/32161 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

The first post-WW2 MG was the TC. It bore great similarity to the pre-WW2 TB and was fitted with basically the same 1250cc OHV XPAG engine. It was superseded by the TD in 1950. Though visually similar to the earlier cars, the latter was built around a more modern chassis derived from the Y-Type Saloon. The benefits included independent coil-sprung suspension at the front, rack and pinion steering, smaller 15-inch disc type road wheels and the option of LHD. The newcomer also boasted a hypoid bevel rear axle, hidden scuttle reinforcement hoop and twin leading shoe front brakes, and was five inches wider than its predecessor. Bumpers and over-riders joined the list of standard equipment. By the middle of 1950, a MKII TD was produced alongside the standard car. It featured a range of optional upgrades including: an engine of 8.0:1 compression ratio giving 57bhp, twin fuel pumps, revised dampers, higher final drive ratio etc, and it was this specification on which the TF of 1953 was based. Now highly sought after, the newcomer was in fact an interim model pending the arrival of the all-new MGA two years later. Fared-in headlights and a sloping radiator grille ensured more modern looks. Some 9,600 TFs were produced all told.

 

The TF on offer is a right-hand drive home market 1,250cc model manufactured in February 1954 and sports British Racing Green coachwork teamed with a Biscuit coloured leather interior. The vendor purchased it in a derelict state in 1996, after which it underwent an eight-year restoration with Naylor Brothers handling the chassis and bulkhead, the engine and gearbox being overhauled by Chris Watson, and the new body being constructed by an ex-Naylor employee. This very pretty, born-again MG comes complete with Heritage Trust certificate and is now seeking a suitable new home.