1959 Ferrari 250 GT PF CoupéSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Estimate: €155,000-180,000

Sold: €180,000

By the late 1950s Enzo Ferrari had been producing limited edition road cars for nearly ten years, but he was still concentrating mainly on competition models of various types. What he now needed, especially since Maserati had just introduced its first road car destined for full scale production, was a car that could be built in larger numbers and to a more uniform design. The 250 series of cars, which had begun with the 250 Europa GT back in 1954, provided the basis for this new model.

Thus the new 250 GT coupe was born in mid-1958. Its body was designed by Pininfarina and was very similar in appearance to the 250 GT convertible introduced the year before, with the obvious exception of the fixed roof. The new coupe was the epitome of understated elegance and power, and its design has hence stood the test of time far better than some of its quirkier relatives. Nonetheless, even on the final production coupe individual variations were possible and indeed encouraged. One can almost always find small differences between cars, proof that Ferrari's idea of what constituted series production was rather more made to order than most people's.

The 250 GT Pininfarina Coupe, as it was fully titled, featured the classic Colombo 60 degree V12 engine displacing 2,953cc and developing 240bhp at 7,000 rpm. The early cars, however, had a single but troublesome distributor which led to a factory recall that saw two distributors fitted, in most cases at Ferrari's expense. Fitment of a new four speed gearbox using an electrically activated fifth speed overdrive followed and by early 1959 most of the cars were fitted with disc brakes as standard. Another improvement came the following year with the adoption of front and rear telescopic shock absorbers in place of the lever-type previously employed. Borrani wire wheels were included in the standard specification. The 250GT Pininfarina coupe was a great success for Ferrari, and 350 were built before production ceased in Autumn 1960 with the chassis, 2081 GT.

This charming example of one of Ferraris most successful and practical two seater V12 sporting coupes has come to the sale from its native Italy where it formed part of an exclusive private collection. Having benefited from a comprehensive restoration in 1998 in its home country, it is presented in Rosso Scuro with a beautiful patinated, complementary, red leather interior. This great road car is perfectly suited for the many historic rallies and events in which it has already successfully taken part in over recent years.


Reference Number 14152

as of 10/13/2007

Overview
Car 1959 Ferrari 250 GT PF Coupé
VIN 1549GT