1938 Lagonda LG6 DHC PennockSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Lagonda LG6 'Pennock', year 1938. Colour dark red (almost black with a beige leather interior and wool beige carpet. (Original colour scheme as the car was presented on the 1938 Earls Court Motor Show.) This very scarce and very special Lagonda is in concourse (show) condition. The car comes with a magnificent Dutch history file. Including a television movie which was broadcasted in the year 2004. The automobile lived through a lively history, in September 1945 the car was used in the Dutch Victory parade, Field Marshal Montgomery was the passenger and guest of honor in this car which leaded the parade from the royal palace to the Amstel Hotel in Amsterdam. Between the years 1995 and 2001 the car was fully overhauled and body off restored to perfection by Amicale Facel Holland.

This 1938 Lagonda LG6 Pennock is a unique collector item. Only seriously interested people are asked to apply for this automobile. This Lagonda LG6 can be viewed on appointment only.

Reference Number 15193

as of 11/7/2007

Overview
Car 1938 Lagonda LG6 DHC Pennock
Exterior / Interior Color      Dark Red (near Black) /      Beige  
Registration NP-62-09 (NL) 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
Options Interior: Leather interior 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

After the renown make of Bentley was taken over by Rolls Royce in the 1930'ies W.O. Bentley applied as chief engineer at Lagonda. His first project was the Lagonda LG6. The LG6 was an evolution of the Lagonda LG45. Bentley improved the chassis and the six cylinder engine. In the late thirties of the twentieth century the LG6 was a very advanced and very luxurious automobile. The LG6 featured technical innovations like two sparking plugs per cylinder, double magneto's, dual circuit hydraulic braking system, central lubrication system and four built-in hydraulic cricks.

The Lagonda LG 6 was built between 1937 and 1940. In total 83 LG6 cars left the factory, 67 with a short chassis and 18 with a long chassis. The LG 6 was available in several body styles; Tourer, Saloon, Drop Head Coupe, Rapide Coupe, Saloon de Ville and Sedanca. From all these cars about 25 were Drop Head Coupe models. Only ten are still known to exist worldwide. The presented Lagonda LG 6 with chassis number12341 is the only one ever imported to the Netherlands. The car was always registered in the Netherlands.

 

Short history of this Lagonda LG6

 

July 11, 1938: the order to built this car is given. The car was especially built for the 1938 London Earls Court Motor Show. Colour very dark red (almost black) with a beige leather interior.

 

December 1938: the car was imported to the Netherlands by importer Hart Nibbrig & Greeve N.V.

 

February 1939: the car is delivered to it's owner, architect J. van Erven Dorens.

 

May 1939: the owner loans the car to the importer for presentation on the car show in Amsterdam.

 

World war two 1940-1945: the car was hidden to keep it out of hands of the Germans. The wheels were buried in the garden of the owner.

 

In 1945 the car is being impounded by the Dutch government, just after the wheels were fitted again. They said something was wrong with the papers.

 

September 1, 1945: the Lagonda LG6 is used as the leading car in the Dutch Victory parade. This parade drove from the royal palace, at Soestdijk, to the Amstel Hotel in Amsterdam and back. Passenger and guest of honor was Field Marshal Montgomery, prince Bernhard of the Netherlands was also present.

 

1946: a Dutchman who ordered a LG6 at the factory in 1939 claims it is his car. He convinces the government and het takes the car to the Dutch Indies. The car is being used as company limousine.

 

1950: the car is shipped to the Netherlands again to compete in the Tulpenrallye. In the port of Rotterdam the car falls from a crane and the rear side is damaged.

 

1950: bodywork specialist Pennock restores the car and the car is given a larger boot as the owner wishes.

 

1951: the car competes in the Tulpenrallye.

 

1995-2001: restoration by Amicale Facel Holland.