1964 Porsche 356 SC CoupéSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Porsche 356 SC Coupe, year 1964. Colour silver metallic with a red leather interior. This Porsche 356 SC is in very good condition. The car shows some signs of use which can easily be corrected. This is the last Porsche 356 C model fitted with the powerful SC engine. The car sports an original power sliding roof(!), wooden steering wheel, disk brakes all round and a working 'period' Blaupunkt radio.
This 356 SC is a delightful driver car and very suitable to participate in historic rally events.

Reference Number 15699

as of 11/20/2007

Overview
Car 1964 Porsche 356 SC Coupé
Exterior / Interior Color      Silver /      Red 
Configuration Left Hand Drive (LHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
Options Exterior: Alloy rims, Metallic paint
Interior: Leather interior, Wooden steering wheel 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Ferry Porsche and Prof. Eberan von Eberhorst started project 356 in the year 1947 in an old sawmill in Gmünd. Ferry's father Ferdinand Porsche was still imprisoned in France under suspicion of war crimes so he did not witness the start of the project. In August 1947 Ferdinand Porsche was found not guilty and was released from prison. In march 1948 the first prototype was finished; the356-001.

The Porsche 356-001 was build upon a tubular framework and was mechanically based upon Volkswagen technology. The 356-001 was fitted with a center mounted engine, located in front of the rear axle.

After testing the car was developed further in order to get it ready for production. The center mounted engine was moved behind the rear axle to create more interior space. The body was redesigned by Edwin Komenda. Until 1948 approximately 50 Porsche 356 models with aluminium bodywork were built. These cars are currently known as the "Gmünd-models".

Porsche had planned a small production of the 356 but the old sawmill in Gmünd was soon too small to produce the increasing amount of cars ordered by the customers. In the year 1948 Porsche moved to Stuttgart in Germany. Porsche rented space next-door the old pre-war Porsche factory and additional space at coachbuilder Reutter.

Reutter was also asked to built the Porsche 356 coupe body's and the company of Gläser was asked to built the 356 convertible body's. All 356 body's were made of steel from that moment on.

In the year 1949 the Porsche 356 was presented at a car show for the first time in Geneva Switzerland.

 

The Porsche 356 shows a long evolution. The 356 was built from 1948 until 1965 in the following model stages:

Gmünd models 1948 - 1951, the pre-A models 1950 - 1955, the 356 A 1955 - 1959, the 356 B 1959 - 1963,

the 356 C 1963 - 1965.

Between the years 1955 and 1965 Porsche also built a special 356 model; the Porsche 356 Carrera with four overhead camshafts. Between the years 1954 and 1964 Porsche built special convertible models like the America Roadster, the Speedster and the Convertible D.