1913 Panhard & Levassor X19 RoadsterSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Panhard & Levassor X19 Roadster

Reference Number 182462

as of 7/3/2012

Overview
Car 1913 Panhard & Levassor X19 Roadster
VIN 36895 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Monegasque title (Collector car)

Chassis # 36895

Engine # 36895

 

 

• In exceptionally original condition

• Beautiful body

• Powerful for its time

 

1913 Panhard & Levassor X19 roadster

 

It is sometimes forgotten, but the fact remains that Panhard & Levassor is the oldest of all the storied French brands. With the first car model launched in 1890, Panhard continued to grow over the years, distinguishing itself with sporting models that performed particularly brilliantly in the hands of racing drivers such as Rene de Knyff or Henri Farman. Though Panhard was making mostly luxury cars, it also in parallel developed commercial vehicles in 1910, and adopted the sleeve-valve technology for its engines. In 1910, Panhard even boasted that it was "the car for Heads of States".

 

The Panhard X19 from the collection of Prince Rainier is exceptional in its condition. A roadster, called a "twin buckets" at that time, the car is powered by a mono-block 10hp 2150cc four-cylinder side valve engine. This lovely car still has its original body, and the sides are elegantly curved. The car has its spare tyre at the rear, where it was sometimes possible to put in an extra seat. Its original woodwork, varnished, has very fine patina, and the leather of the seat has barely cracked with the passage of time. The wooden steering wheel and controls are all original and the car has a Burdigala lantern and Auteroche acetylene lamps, whose generator Ideal No. 25 is placed on the running board. The hood, held by wooden arches, is a bit stiff thanks to its age, and you will notice a plate of the garage F. Mercier, in Morlaix, France. This car was purchased by the famous René Giordano, a collector from the early days, and a big fan of cars who was always very happy to share his passion, being a true connoisseur of such fine rarities. From a mechanical point of view, the fuel tank was sealed with resin (a product called Restom), and the engine runs well. The car was exhibited three years ago in the Yacht Club where it was cynosure of all eyes. This Panhard will delight enthusiasts of pre-1914 cars, both in the aesthetic sense as well as its technicality. The engine’s powerful enough to easily cruise in the streets or to participate in rallies.