1929 Lagonda 2-Litre Speed ModelSOLD

Among the earliest Low Chassis cars made & restored by Nigel Dawes

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: KW 6670
Engine No: 1228
CC: 2000
Colour: Dark Green
Trim Colour: Light Green
MOT: Jan 2014

Reference Number 210210

as of 2/28/2013

Overview
Car 1929 Lagonda 2-Litre Speed Model
VIN OH9489 
Mileage 5,724 miles 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Incorporating lessons learnt from the 2 Litre Speed Model that Andre D'Erlanger / Douglas Hawkes drove to 11th place overall (2nd-in-class) at the 1928 Le Mans 24 Hours, a Low Chassis derivative was announced the following July during Lagonda's Brooklands Fete. Road registered as `KW 6670' on July 24th 1929, car number OH9489 was among the first batch of Low Chassis Speed Models to be built (the number stamped into its engine's timing case - SL907 - suggesting that it may have been the seventh car or thereabouts off the line). Aside from being supplied new by Central Garage of Bradford, the four-seater's pre-WW2 history is a blank.

 

The first owner known to the Lagonda Club was P.I. Turner Esq of Madam's Hill, Easthope, Shropshire who joined in January 1957 and moved to Chepstow a decade later. Taken off the road and barn stored by Mr Turner, black and white photos on file indicate that `KW 6670' was still remarkably sound when renowned restorer Nigel Dawes disinterred it in December 1980. Treated to an extensive `body off' refurbishment between 1981 and 1984, the Low Chassis passed through the hands of D.E. Proffitt Esq of Tattenhall, Chester and Derek Green of Cedar Classics, Hartley Wintney before entering the current ownership during December 1987.

 

Sparingly used over the past twenty-five years, the Lagonda was nonetheless entrusted to South Cerney Engineering Ltd for a through engine overhaul in 1992. Recently recommissioned following a period of inactivity by Chris Shenton Engineering of Stoke-on-Trent, this notably early 2 Litre Low Chassis Speed Model is considered by the vendor to be in "very good overall" condition. A rare and desirable Vintage Sports Car, `KW 6670' is offered for sale with sundry paperwork and restoration photos.