1909 Renault 12 /16 Landaulette by Lucas of LondonSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
According to the archives at Renault UK Ltd, this striking 12/16HP Type AZ Renault, powered by a four cylinder, two litre engine, was originally imported to Great Britain in 1909 and sold by the French concern's English branch to F W Lucas on March 5 the same year. Subsequently, carrying Lucas of London Landaulette coachwork and bearing the registration mark KN 18, the car was the property of Mrs D Green of Trowbridge in Wiltshire, after which much of its history is unknown. Believed to be largely in original and un-restored condition, it was re-imported to Britain in 1990 from America since when the Renault had been properly repainted, as opposed to spray painted, in its original livery of green with yellow coach lines, splendidly complementing a rear passenger compartment sumptuously trimmed in plush, buttoned grey upholstery with burgundy highlights; the driver's and front passenger's seats are trimmed in black leather.

Described as being in very good condition, this delightful and distinctive French veteran car is supplied with a history file that includes photocopies of the original 1909 lubrication and maintenance instructions, a Veteran Car Club of Great Britain Certificate of Date (No 28, originally recorded in 1947), a V5 registration document and an MoT test certificate valid until the end of May. A truly charming automobile and highly recommended.

Reference Number 24694

as of 5/21/2008

Overview
Car 1909 Renault 12 /16 Landaulette by Lucas of London
VIN 15067 
Exterior / Interior Color      Green /      Black 
Registration KN18 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
Known History

Louis, Marcel and Fernand Renault were sons of a French prosperous linen draper and while his two brothers entered the family business, Louis felt his leaning was more towards the novel world of automobiles and the engineering they entailed. In 1897 he had bought a de Dion Bouton and by the following year Louis, in the backyard of his family's home, had built his own experimental light car powered by a one and three-quarter horsepower, 273cc, single cylinder, de Dion engine. Notably, its transmission system - a rear axle driven by a friction clutch, gearbox and propshaft - was not only one which would set the pattern for small cars of the period but also one which would be adopted by all types of cars regardless of size or purpose.

 

Having established Renault Freres with Marcel and Fernand as partners, Louis started production of his little car in 1899 at Billancourt, Seine and by the middle of the year 60 examples had already been sold. In 1900, and now with water rather than air-cooling, two and a quarter, three and a half and five horsepower de Dion engines were available and by 1903 Renault was already producing its own twin cylinder power plants. Luxuriously appointed and expensive, Renault cars were also early and effective entrants in competition and in the 1906 French Grand Prix, the major race of the year, run over two days over a 64 mile triangular course near Le Mans, the Hungarian driver Szisz four cylinder Renault led from start to finish to win by over half an hour from Nazzaro's FIAT, and at an average of 63mph over the 769.9 mile course.