1936 Pinarelly Bros. “Sprint CarSOLD

Barn Find 1936 California Sprint Car

See all the Images for this Car
Back in the day these cars were raced often and hard so it is extremely rare to find one that has survived in one piece let alone one is such good original condition. Never molested or updated this car is in “as raced” condition. It competed on the west coast from 1936 to the early 1950’s when it was retired and put in storage. In the early 1980’s John and Terry Cox purchased the car for their private collection.

Reference Number 36794

as of 1/8/2009

Overview
Car 1936 Pinarelly Bros. “Sprint Car
Exterior / Interior Color      Blue 
Configuration Central Steering 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Sprint car racing had its beginnings in the years following World War I. The cars were primarily modified stock cars with factory sponsorship. The races were held near major cities. After the war competition came to rural areas with races held at county fair horse tracks. By the 1930’s the modified stock cars had evolved into real racecars. Home built stripped Motel Ts were replaced by professionally designed and built racecars powered by Miller or Offenhauser engines. Pre World War II they were not called “Sprint Cars”, midget racers had become popular so the bigger machines were simply called “Big Cars”.

 

Oval track racing was a very popular sport around the country but California was the hot bed. This car is believed to have been built by the Pinarelly Brothers in Southern California around 1936. Its design and construction is typical of the time with a purpose built ladder frame, all aluminum body, and powered by a 270 cubic inch Offenhauser engine. Transverse leaf springs support the solid axils at the front and a Cyclone quick change rear end at the back.

 

In the late 1930’s the car was driven by one of the best drivers of the era Spider Web for the Pinarelly Bros. team. After the war the car was purchased by Marsh Baldwin and driven by Bud Sennet. The 1948 Western Racing Association car identification tag is still on the dash.

 

Other drives include Tex Petterson and Cecil Bernaugh. The car competed in Southern California at Ascot and Gardenia and in Northern California at Oakland Speedway and Oakland Stadium. It is pictured in Tom Motter’s book “Oakland Stadium” on page 26 with Tex Petterson at the wheel. The car was raced into the 1950s and then retired. It has not been restored and remains as last raced,

 

In the 1980s the mechanicals were freshened and the car competed a few times in the Vintage Division at Western Racing Association meets. This car comes with an album of personal period photographs form the Baldwin years, quick change rear end gear sets in the original wood storage box, and four spare wheels.