1949 Ferrari 166 Inter Coupe TouringSOLD

The Schermerhorn Collection

See all the Images for this Car
Estimate: €300.000-€375.000

€258.500 Sold

110 bhp, 1,992 cc overhead-camshaft V-12 engine, five speed manual gearbox, independent front suspension via A-arms, transverse leaf spring and lever shocks, rigid rear axle with semi elliptic leaf springs and lever shocks, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,420 mm (95.3 in.)

The Ferrari 166 Inter model was the road version of the sports racing model, produced between 1948 and 1950 and comprising thirty-seven examples, which carried chassis numbers in the odd number road car sequence between 007 S and 0079 S. Various coach builders were employed, all with their own interpretation of how they felt a Ferrari should be clothed. Apart from Carrozzeria Touring, which bodied the first 166 Sport coupé for the 1948 Turin Salon, there were also examples of coachwork from the houses of Bertone, Ghia, Stabilimenti Farina and Vignale.

The Carrozzeria Touring examples were the most popular and bore a strong family resemblance to the style of the coach builder’s Ferrari 166 MM Barchetta, albeit on a longer wheelbase chassis and with a smoothly curved coupé or berlinetta body. At this time virtually every car was unique and there would frequently be numerous detail differences, perhaps in the radiator grille design or lighting layout, between one car and another from the same coach builder. Although the Inter series models were built as road cars, numerous owners used them in competition, and they acquitted themselves well, despite the slightly heavier bodies and full interior trim.

The mechanical layout on a longer wheelbase chassis was virtually identical to the competition 166 MM models, with a two-litre V-12 engine coupled to a five speed gearbox driving through a rigid rear axle. The “166” in the model designation referred to the swept volume of a single cylinder in cubic centimetres, with all 12 adding up to 1,992 cc, or nearly two litres. The Gioacchino Colombo-designed engines in these models had a twin distributor and coil ignition system, and were fitted with a single twin choke carburettor as standard, although a triple set-up could be specified. The Ferrari sales literature of the time claimed a power output of 110 bhp at 6000 rpm. The model featured independent front suspension via a transverse leaf spring, wishbones and Houdaille lever-type hydraulic shock absorbers. At the rear there were semi-elliptic leaf springs and similar Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers. The brakes were hydraulic drum type to all four wheels, with a mechanical handbrake to the rear wheels. These were the only road production Ferraris of the period available with steel disc-type CABO road wheels as an alternative to the more popular and sporting wire wheels. In either instance they had a Rudge-type splined hub, sometimes under a chrome hub cap on the disc wheels.

The example offered here, chassis no. 017 S, was the sixth car in the series by chassis number and the fourth produced with coachwork by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan. Chassis no. 017 S was sold new through Franco Cornacchia of Scuderia Guastalla fame in Milan, to the Cerana brothers of Busto Arsizio, Italy. It is not known how long they kept the car, but it is recorded as having been imported to Switzerland in June 1958, where it is believed to have remained with two owners until it was bought by the current owner in December 2000. Whilst in its last Swiss ownership it was run three times in the Historic Mille Miglia, underwent a full restoration and in 1997 had the engine and gearbox overhauled and rebuilt by Costantini in Zürich, Switzerland. Mr. Schermerhorn has maintained it regardless of expense and has used it regularly in touring events and displayed it at a number of Ferrari events and concours in Europe.

Chassis no. 017 S is right hand drive, as were all sports racing and road Ferraris of the period, in keeping with the pre-war principle of racing cars featuring the steering on this side. It has an elegant aluminium coupé body, constructed to Carrozzeria Touring’s Superleggera (super light) principles of the body skin supported over a network of fine tubes. The coachwork is finished in deep red and has the elegant teardrop lights on the rear fenders. The interior upholstery is beige cloth with brown carpets, featuring a folding rear bench seat with Jaeger instruments and a Nardi wood rim steering wheel. The overall condition of the car is very good, as one would expect from its careful ownership over the years, and it comes complete with a detailed history file dating back to 1994, copies of FIVA papers, old FIA documents, old Swiss title papers and Dutch APK (equivalent to the British MOT certificate) up to September 2008. This is an opportunity to acquire a rare piece of early Ferrari history, Ferrari Classiche certified and correct in every respect.

Reference Number 41054

as of 3/24/2009

Overview
Car 1949 Ferrari 166 Inter Coupe Touring
VIN 017S