1950 Ferrari 195 Inter Coupe GhiaSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Estimate: €325.000-€400.000

€290.000 Sold

130 bhp, 2,341 cc dual overhead camshaft V-12 alloy engine, single Weber 36 DCF carburettor, five-speed manual gearbox, front suspension by transverse leaf spring and lower A-arm with Houdaille lever-action shock absorbers, rear suspension by semi-elliptic leaf springs with lever-action shock absorbers and two trailing arms, live axle, four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2,500 mm (98.5 in.)

Introduced almost simultaneously with the 212, the 195 did not see a great deal of competition use as the 212’s larger displacement offered a slight advantage. Nonetheless, any Ferrari was suitable for racing and several 195s did very well in international competition. Giannino Marzotto, a handsome young member of Italy’s industrial aristocracy, won the Mille Miglia in 1950 thanks in part to the 195 engine in his Ferrari 166 MM.

Racing victories aside, the real purpose of the 195 Inter was to provide a suitable mount for the exquisite artistry of Ghia, Vignale, Touring and others. Its longer wheelbase and increased power output made it ideally suited to the task.

Carrozzeria Ghia is one of the most famous Italian automobile design and coach building companies. Established in Turin by Giacinto Ghia as Carrozzeria Ghia & Gariglio in 1915, the company initially made lightweight aluminium-bodied cars, achieving fame with the Alfa Romeo 6C 1500 which won the Mille Miglia in 1929. Between the world wars, Ghia designed special bodies for Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia, one of the most famous being the Fiat 508 “Balilla” Sport Coupé in 1933. During the Second World War, however, the company survived by making carts for the Italian Army and by manufacturing bicycles.

In 1943 the factory was destroyed during an Allied bombing raid. The loss of his buildings and all of the tooling and designs built up over more than a quarter of a century was too much for Ghia, and, on 21 February 1944 he died from a heart attack while supervising the rebuilding of the Turin factory. Determined that the family name would continue, Santina Ghia offered what was left of her husband’s company to two of his closest associates, Giorgio Alberti and Felice Mario Boano, the latter having been chosen as a successor by Ghia before his death.

All told, only about 35 Ferraris were ever bodied by Ghia and this right-hand drive Ferrari 195 Inter Coupé is one of them. Chassis 0105 S was sold new to its first owner of Milan in January 1951 before being exported from Italy to the United States later in the decade. It was owned by Raymond Stuyvesant of New York before being owned in the 1960s by Barrett S. Wayburn of Michigan.

Edsel H. Pfabe of Cleveland eventually purchased the car and would own it for quite some time, showing it in 1983 at the Fourth Annual Palm Beach Polo Concours, where it placed First in Class and also won Best of Show. Pfabe sold the car two years later to William G. King of Wilton, Connecticut, who in turn sold it to David B. Smith of Seattle in 1988.

0105 S was sold at auction in 1989 to a gentleman in California before being exported the same year to Japan. It was acquired at auction in August 1992 by Walter Schäfer of Germany, who drove it the following month in the Hahnenkamm-Rallye. Thereafter, it was actively campaigned in numerous events around Europe, including the Ferrari meeting in 1994 at Mas du Clos.

In 1997, the car partook in the 50th anniversary celebrations in Maranello and, according to Mr. Schäfer, Luca di Montezemolo sat in the car and remarked how charmed he was by the car’s pureness and originality. Mr. Schermerhorn subsequently acquired the car in 2001 and has shown it at the MECC Show in Maastricht, Holland (2002) as well as the 11th Modena Motorsport Track Days Meeting and Concours at the Nürburgring, where it was the winner of the award for Best 1950s Ferrari. As with all other cars in his collection, however, the car has been driven quite sparingly and used primarily for events. In June 2008, it took part in the XIV Sport et Collection event at the Circuit du Val de Vienne in France, along with four other cars in his collection. Handsomely finished and presented in red with a red leather interior with red carpeting and black piping, the car is accompanied by history files containing various photographs and articles as well as invoices of work conducted between 2003 and 2006.

As one of only about 35 Ferraris ever bodied by Carrozzeria Ghia and about 28 195 Inter Coupés, 0105 S represents one of the most rare remaining examples of an early coach built road going Ferrari and, of course, would be welcomed at the world’s most prestigious historic automotive events.

Reference Number 41055

as of 3/24/2009

Overview
Car 1950 Ferrari 195 Inter Coupe Ghia
VIN 0105S 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car