1964 Aston Martin DB4 Series VSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Estimate: £110000 - £130000

Sold: £132,200

The famous Aston Martin marque has produced some of the most powerful and handsome post-war high-performance cars in the world. Arguably Britain’s first real Gran Turismo worthy of appellation, the DB4 made its debut at the 1958 London Motor Show to great public acclaim. Successor to the DB Mk III, it was the first production Aston Martin to use both Tadek Marek’s new twin overhead camshaft straight-six all-alloy engine and an aluminium body designed by Touring of Milan using its Superleggera method of attachment to a lightweight steel tube frame.

Beneath the DB4’s sleek and beautifully-proportioned lines, the 3,670cc unit developed 240bhp, while the new platform chassis featured independent coil-sprung wishbone front suspension, a coil-sprung live rear axle located by Watt linkage and parallel trailing arms, and all-round disc brakes. Performance of 140mph, 0-60mph in around nine seconds and 0-100mph in 20 seconds ranked it amongst the fastest grand tourers available – its Connolly leather and Wilton-carpeted interior ensured that it was also one of the most luxurious.

There were five series of DB4, a prodigious rate of evolution by any standards. The car offered today is one of the most desirable, being one of the last Series V examples.

A number of features delineate this last series, most notably the standardisation of the Vantage specification engine with three S.U. carburettors, a high 9:1 compression ratio, and larger valves giving 266bhp at 5,700rpm. Other improvements included a longer boot, adding space and enhancing the body shape, larger tyres and wheels, an oil cooler and heavy duty twin-plate clutch with a stronger wide-ratio gearbox.



This Series V example is reported to have covered only 12,130 miles from new. This DB4 was originally delivered new to Norfolk and first registered on 7th February 1963. Some 15 months later the car was sold to a Mr Mullard, a friend of the previous owner, Mr Simon Wood-Greaves. According to Mr Wood-Greaves the car had covered 7,000 miles by June 1964. The buff log book supplied with the car shows that it was taxed up to 30th November 1966, which ties in with the corresponding period tax disc that is displayed in the windscreen. According to Mr Wood-Greaves during the period the car was taxed it covered 5,000 miles, totalling 12,045 miles, with Mr Mullard using the car on the odd Sunday or bank holidays. Due to the car receiving little use the car was put on axle stands and into storage until he had time to use it. In August 1982 1031 was purchased from Mr Mullard by Mr Wood-Greaves with the intention of doing all necessary work to return the car to the road but sadly time had not permitted and was eventually bought by the current owner in August 2006.



Today the car looks and drives as it must have done when leaving the Newport Pagnell factory in 1963; it is finished in the handsome factory combination of Caribbean blue with the original dark blue hide interior showing a fine patina. All aspects of the car are described as excellent by the vendor with the engine undergoing a complete ground up rebuild.

Accompanying the car is the original buff log book, V5 document, current MoT certificate valid until March 2010, original parts book, workshop manual, various invoices, the last tax disc dating back to 1966 and a letter from Mr Wood-Greaves detailing the ownership history.

Along with the aforementioned extensive documentation the car is fitted with its original Motorola radio in working condition including the back lit Aston Martin logo. It is the small details such as this that make 1031 a truly magnificent example of one of the finest DB Aston Martins.

Reference Number 43519

as of 5/12/2009

Overview
Car 1964 Aston Martin DB4 Series V
VIN DB4/1031/R 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car