1955 Austin A308000-10000  - Estimate

The Roy Savage Collection of Classic Cars

See all the Images for this Car
AUCTION: Sunday 4 December 2016, 2.30pm

Viewing
Thursday 1 December, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Friday 2 December, 10.00am – 7.00pm
(Extended Evening Viewing, 5.00pm – 7.00pm)
Saturday 3 December, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Sunday 4 December, 10.00am - 12.00pm

Viewing Location
19 Omahi Street, Waikanae 5036

Auction Location
Southward Car Museum
Otaihanga Rd, Otaihanga
Paraparaumu 5036
New Zealand

Reference Number 446379

as of 5/30/2017

Dealer
Go to dealer's website  

Lot 101

Mossgreen-Webbs  Contact  Location
23 Falcon Street, Parnell  Phone  +6495246804  City  Paraparaumu
Auckland 1052  Fax    State  
New Zealand  Mobile    Country  New Zealand New Zealand
Overview
Car 1955 Austin A30
VIN A254110578 
Exterior / Interior Color      Green /      Beige 
Registration UT3201 
Mileage 75,000 miles 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
Options Interior: Leather interior 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

1955 AUSTIN A30

Chassis no: A254110578

Engine no: 2A110578

 

As cute as a mouse and almost cartoon like in character the Austin A30 was the outstanding success story produced by Austin after it went in to direct market competition with the Morris Minor. This little curvaceous sensation was launched at the 1951 Earls Court Motor Show as the "New Austin Seven". With spirited driving the A30 was able to attain a top speed of 70 mph powered by the newly designed A-Series 4-cylinder engine which was highly-developed for the time. A car tested by The Motor magazine in 1952 claimed this little pocket rocket accelerated from 0–50 mph in a startling 29 seconds!

 

This small package of efficiency was not lost on the likes of aspiring racing drivers such as Australian champion Peter Brock who cut his teeth racing an Austin A30 albeit modified with a 6-cylinder Holden motor under the bonnet. But still! A legend was born.

 

Powered by the 803cc Austin A-Series inline-4, pushrod-operated, overhead valve motor with a single Zenith carburettor, the Austin engine developed 28 bhp (21 kW) at 4400 rpm. A rather curious but effective Lockheed drum braking system was employed, the front being fully hydraulic and the rear brakes being mechanically operated by a remote hydraulic cylinder. The hand-brake, operated mechanically by a lever to the right of the driver’s seat was efficient. Independent coil springs in the front suspension and live axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs at the back gave as smooth a ride as could be achieved with this type of technology. The A30s fuel consumption and consequent affordability were the obvious draw cards as Austin went on to build 223,264 units before it was superseded by the A35.

 

The A30 was produced in Australia by the Austin Motor Company (Australia) Pty Ltd from 1952 to 1954 and by its successor, the British Motor Corporation (Australia) Pty Ltd (BMC) from 1954 to 1956.

 

This example for auction is virtually pristine and appears to be extremely loved for the important representation it plays in this multifarious collection of cars. Well selected for its original New Zealand delivery in 1955, this car has had 2 prior lady owners: Lilian Farmer bought it new and held it in her ownership until 1979 when it passed on to Helen Robertson in 1979, with an odometer reading of 49,000. It was then passed to the ownership of High Street Car sales until 1984 with 61,020 miles on the clock. Roy Savage purchased the car for his collection in 1992 when it had covered 72,250 miles. It has covered a mere 2750 miles in his ownership. This A30 was comprehensively restored by Mr. Athol Ross of Greytown, in 1991 with some $15,000 spent. Spruce Green paintwork and tan vinyl interior with pull- up windows affirm this car’s originality along with the Smiths gauges and other appointments. This is a classic period collectors’ car of the 1950s and an affordable, choice item to take home from the Savage Collection which has enhanced its already desirable provenance.

This vehicle will be sold licenced with WoF.