1953 MG TD2 1250 

The Roy Savage Collection of Classic Cars

See all the Images for this Car
AUCTION: Sunday 4 December 2016, 2.30pm

Viewing
Thursday 1 December, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Friday 2 December, 10.00am – 7.00pm
(Extended Evening Viewing, 5.00pm – 7.00pm)
Saturday 3 December, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Sunday 4 December, 10.00am - 12.00pm

Viewing Location
19 Omahi Street, Waikanae 5036

Auction Location
Southward Car Museum
Otaihanga Rd, Otaihanga
Paraparaumu 5036
New Zealand

Reference Number 446390

as of 5/30/2017

Dealer
Go to dealer's website  

Lot 106

Mossgreen-Webbs  Contact  Location
23 Falcon Street, Parnell  Phone  +6495246804  City  Paraparaumu
Auckland 1052  Fax    State  
New Zealand  Mobile    Country  New Zealand New Zealand
Overview
Car 1953 MG TD2 1250
VIN TD/27228 
Exterior / Interior Color      Red /      Red 
Registration UT3210 
Mileage 86,000 miles 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
Options Interior: Leather interior 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

1953 MG TD2 1250

Chassis no: TD/27228

Engine no: XPAG/TD2/26255

 

The TD model was built from 1949-1953 utilising the now familiar 1,250cc twin Carb, pushrod OHV XPAG engine. Styling features were still the free- standing headlamps, running boards and flat fold windscreen with basic weather equipment. But the TD was the first production MG sports car to have independent coil sprung front suspension giving a softer ride, rack and pinion steering, a box-section chassis frame and steel disc wheels. It retained the same wheelbase as the earlier TC but it had 2.5” wider track at the front and was 5” wider at the rear. Also, 15” wheels rather than the 19” of the TC were fitted.

 

To the casual onlooker, the appearance might have been the same as the TC, but it was a much stronger car. With this model, MG evolved with the times and the TD became the first MG built in both left and right hand drive which increased annual production at the Abingdon factory to more than that of the entire pre-war period.

 

In July 1951 the 1250cc XPAG engine was improved with the fitment of a new block; sump; bell-housing and flywheel in order to accommodate a larger clutch. The engine number prefix as with this car was changed to TD2, and MG TDs fitted with this engine have subsequently become known as TD2 models. In some cases, marketing resources did not use this description. The changeover occurred at engine number XPAG/TD2/9408. (The TD2 should not be confused with the MG TD MK II. The production TD2 has a single SU carburettor, single fuel pump and standard-ratio 4-speed gear box)

Several changes were introduced between August and November 1952 including circular rear lamps with flashing turn signals and a 3-bow frame replacing the 2-bow frame for the fold down hood. And noticeably, the windscreen wiper motor was moved to the centre rather than the side of the windscreen.

 

This TD2 was brought in to New Zealand from the United Kingdom in1966 and registered to Mr. Terence Scofield of Wellington, with an odometer reading of 40,000 miles. It changed ownership in 1966 via Wakefield Motors of Wellington to Mr. David McKinney and again in 1967 to Mr. Graham Richards and then to Mr, Alexander Middlemiss, in 1968 with 56,300 on the clock. It was retained in his ownership until 1976 when Mr Donald Waddington bought it and shortly after sold it to Roy Savage with 82,105 miles accrued. This car has now approx. 86,000 miles on the clock.

 

Under the watchful eye of Roy Savage, this post- war classic MG has undergone a full back to bare metal restoration over several years commencing in 1979, with Mr. John Stringer overseeing the project. This car was Roy Savage’s second MG, a TF being his first which he subsequently replaced with this TD2. The car bears the signs of this older restoration showing patina consistent with its age and use. It comes complete with the original roof and side windows also showing patina. Its spare wheel; tool kit and jack are included.

 

This lovely example presents as an outstanding opportunity to acquire a car with recorded ownership history.

This vehicle will be sold licenced with WoF.