1930 Ford Model A DELUXE CABRIOLE24000-30000  - Estimate

The Roy Savage Collection of Classic Cars

See all the Images for this Car
Sunday 4 December 2016, 2.30pm

Viewing
Thursday 1 December, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Friday 2 December, 10.00am – 7.00pm
(Extended Evening Viewing, 5.00pm – 7.00pm)
Saturday 3 December, 10.00am – 5.00pm
Sunday 4 December, 10.00am - 12.00pm

Viewing Location
19 Omahi Street, Waikanae 5036

Auction
Sunday 4 December 2016, 2.30pm

Auction Location
Southward Car Museum
Otaihanga Rd, Otaihanga
Paraparaumu 5036
New Zealand

Reference Number 446562

as of 5/30/2017

Dealer
Go to dealer's website  

Lot 114

Mossgreen-Webbs  Contact  Location
23 Falcon Street, Parnell  Phone  +6495246804  City  Paraparaumu
Auckland 1052  Fax    State  
New Zealand  Mobile    Country  New Zealand New Zealand
Overview
Car 1930 Ford Model A DELUXE CABRIOLE
VIN 7A86GOK0796088706 
Exterior / Interior Color      Yellow 
Registration UT3202 
Mileage 45,000 miles 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

1930 FORD MODEL A DELUXE CABRIOLE

Chassis no: 7A86GOK0796088706

Engine no: 6A 63740

 

The very first Ford Model A was sold on December 2, in 1927 replacing the successful Model T after its extraordinary 18-year production run. This new Model A, (an earlier Ford had the same name in 1904), was classified as a 1928 model and was produced in four standard colours. It was destined to become another boon for Henry Ford’s mass production system. By 4 February 1929, 1million Model As had been sold, and by 24 July, 2 million. It began with just two body styles but by 1930, Model A sales hit 3million with 9 body styles available. Production ceased in March, 1932, after 4,858,644 cars were built in all body styles. Its successor was the Model B.

 

Even though Ford dominated the automotive market with its Model T, by the mid-1920s, competition and modern advancements offering improved driving comfort and performance caught up with Ford's mass production system and market competition became acute, especially from General Motors various divisions. Henry Ford’s recalcitrance in considering comforts and luxury such as electric starters as unnecessary was costly as these items were now viewed by the public as essentials.

 

Remaining competitive was mandatory for Ford and recognising this risk the marketing experts advised Henry to counter attack but he resisted. However, the T's reducing market share finally forced him to support a replacement model. Although ultimately successful, the development of the Model A experienced problems, in particular die stamping parts from sheet metal, which Ford had trail blazed with the Model T production system. Henry Ford was also determined that the Model A would feature more drop-forgings but his ideas proved impractical. Eventually, Ford's engineers persuaded him to relent or see the Model A's production cost drive up the retail price. The Model A's styling team was led by Henry’s son, Edsel. A song was written about the Model A by Irving Kaufman titled “Henry's Made a Lady Out of Lizzie”, a reference to the nickname Tin Lizzie given to the Model T.

 

The Model A was the first Ford to use a conventional clutch, brake pedals, throttle, and gearshift. It had a visual fuel gauge and the fuel flowed to the carburettor by gravity. In cooler climates, a cast iron shield to place over the exhaust manifold was available by special order to provide heat to the carburettor and supply warm air to the cabin, entering by a small window. The Model A was the first car to have safety glass in the windshield and a rear-view mirror was optional. Prices for the Model A ranged from US$385 for a roadster to US$1400 for the top-of-the-line Town Car. The engine was a water-cooled L-head inline 4-cylinder with a displacement of 201 cu in (3.3 l). This engine provided 40 hp with a top speed was around 65 mph (105 km/h). It utilised a 3-speed sliding gear manual unsynchronised gearbox with reverse and 4-wheel mechanical drum brakes. The 1930 and 1931 models, known as Improved A’s, came with a stainless steel radiator cowling and headlamp housings.

 

This fine example for auction was built in Canada as inscribed on the body plate. The Ford Motor Company of Canada was a separate organization with its own shareholders although Henry Ford owned 13 percent. The Company had gained all Ford patent rights and selling privileges to all parts of the British Empire, except Great Britain and Ireland, Eventually, it established and managed the Ford Motor Company of Southern Africa; Ford India Private Limited; Ford Motor Company of Australia and Ford Motor Company New Zealand.

 

This car is believed to have been imported new in to New Zealand. Its Certificate of Registration shows it was registered in New Zealand on 14th October 1966, to Mr. Richard Palmer of Kaiapoi with an odometer reading of 44,641 miles. On 7th October, 1968, it changed hands to Bill Pyne, Roy Savage’s great friend and protagonist to Roy’s car collecting pursuits. This car, affectionately called Fred, is believed to have been modified from a saloon to a cabriolet, but the chassis is understood to be original. It runs well and sits on the road proudly. Roy purchased this Ford A Model in March, 1976 and it now shows approx. 45,000 miles on the clock. This purchase was the start of the collection.

 

The car was restored by Bill Pyne and is finished in a colour combination similar to the period factory colours of yellow with black guards. It has been held within the Savage collection for 40 years.

 

This vehicle will be sold licenced with WoF.