1953 MG C GTSSOLD

To Sebring Specification

See all the Images for this Car
Sold: ú 30,485

Unlike the B which had its circuit debut some months after the car was first announced, the MGC seemed to be more of a homologation model. Built initially to race prior to its introduction to the public. Five shells were built with aluminium panels bonded and riveted to them which included wide wheel arches to cover the seven inch wheels. These shells were stored above the offices at Abingdon until after the launch after which the Competition Department then got to work on them. They built up two vehicles to include suspension, brakes, Perspex side windows and, of course, the engine. The first appearance in C guise was at the Sebring 12 hour race in March 1968 (hence the `S` designation) where MBL 546E and RMO 699F (the sister car) ran well. It was campaigned often by such luminaries as Paddy Hopkirk and Andrew Hedges and more recently at the Coys Historic Festival by Colin Percy

John Baggott relates in his book, MG, The Racing Story, `he made a good start and got into 2nd place behind Stirling Moss in the ex-works MGB, 6DBL, closely followed by Barry Sidery-Smith in his Le Mans MGB and Tony Binnington in OMO 70. Colin got by at Stowe but in so doing so went wide, got two wheels on the grass and clipped the gravel trap showering those behind with stones. He came through Luffield with one wheel six inches in the air and managed to take the lead along the start finish straight. In the closing stages, Barry got up to second and slipstreaming the GTS at every opportunity. He won the Abingdon Trophy by 0.66 seconds and secured RMO`s first outright win 28 years after it was built`, and thus cementing its place in the hearts and minds of MG enthusiasts globally.

ONJ 85F is the result of a 10 year restoration project with the aim of producing an accurate, highly developed replica of RMO 699F, the 1968 works MGC GTS which successfully competed in the 1969 Sebring 12-hour race. RMO 699F was the last Abingdon-built works car. Beginning with the chassis, it has been modified to accept SPAX telescopic shocks and anti-tramp bars, rear wheel arches have been widened to accept larger wheels and tires and full roll-cage mountings have been added to accept a full cage by "Rollcentre" to FIA specification. The body of the car is a full aluminium Sebring body using original bucks including wings, roof, door skins, tailgate skin, bonnet, scuttle, and front and rear panels. Steering and suspension have been sympathetically upgraded to include Quaife rack and pinion, uprated torsion bars, full set of front and rear polyurethane bushes, and all suspension bolts and mountings are cadmium plated.


The brakes are a tool room copy of the works cars and feature front and rear discs with handbrake mechanism and tandem pedal box with three master cylinders. The 3 litre 6 six cylinder engine was prepared by Denis Welch at great expense and includes a steel crank, Cosworth pistons, billeted cam, gas-flowed head, competition manifold and exhaust, 3X45 DCOE Weber carbs, Mallory distributor, lightened aluminium flywheel, and twin plate race clutch. In order to cope with the power of the engine, the car sports a straight cut gearbox with competition overdrive and a Quaife LSD with a 3.9 crown and pinion gear. The assembly of the car was completed by renowned specialist MG Motorsport with correct MGC GTS treatments including Sebring headlight covers, Monza fuel cap, battery kill switch, fuel and brake lines in the cabin, fire extinguisher, Ridguard seats, 4 point harnesses, and 15X8 Minilite wheels. The car is offered in exceptional condition.

Reference Number 46254

as of 6/30/2009

Overview
Car 1953 MG C GTS
VIN GCD1757 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car