Search Cars for Sale

Back to List
1960 Aston Martin DB4 Series 1Price Upon Request
See all the Images for this Car
One of only 76 RHD DB4 Series 1 built, the most desirable variant
Retaining its original engine
Presented in its original colour combination of Cardinal Grey with Red Connolly interior

The Aston Martin DB4:

Aston Martin started work on the new model, the DB4, in 1956, at the same time as developing the DB Mark III. The DB4 team included General Manager John Wyer, Chassis Designer Harold Beach, and engine Designer Tadek Marek. Every major component of the DB4 was new. The elegant four-seater open-headlight body was designed by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan, using their ‘Superleggera’ construction method in which Aluminium panels are fixed to a tubular frame built onto a platform chassis.

The new car was shown at the London Motor Show in 1958 and was the first production car capable of 0-100-0 mph in under 30 seconds, claiming to reach the 100-mph mark in only 21 seconds. The Tadek Marek designed DOHC straight six-cylinder 3,670 cc engine produced 240 bhp and was mated to a four-speed manual gearbox. From start to finish, the DB4 was available in five series, with the most desirable being the series 1 cars. These were characterised by simple bumpers, the rear-hinged front bonnet, frameless door windows and large air intake below the front grille.

This DB4 Series 1:

The Aston Martin DB4 we are offering here, chassis DB4/236/R was built in late 1959 before being first registered in the UK on 13th January 1960. It is one of only 76 RHD DB4 Series 1 cars built and was finished in Cardinal Grey over Red Connolly interior, a combination which it still wears today.

This car was sold new to Mr J.Tate in Oxted through Aston Martin agents Brookland (H.W.Motors) on 21st January 1960 and was issued license plate ‘TA 8’, presumably in reference to the first owners surname. The car was specified new with a HMV Radio Model 500T.
As can be seen on copies of the original Aston Martin build sheets which accompany the car, three months after delivery the car was serviced by Aston Martin with the mileage noted as 6,358 miles. Then on 30th August 1960 the car received more service and maintenance work and now the mileage was noted as 14,025, clearly Mr Tate enjoyed spending time behind the wheel of his new DB4.

By April 1983 this DB4 was in the hands of its second private owner and on 03rd August 1984 passed an MOT with the mileage now noted as 79,435. Then in November 1989 Mario Auto Repairs removed the engine to begin a complete restoration of the car. Body and paintwork was handled by Hexagon Highgate with the project reaching completion in 1991.

In September 1993, this DB4 passed through a Sotheby’s auction to Mr Alan Crisp who bought it on behalf of Mr Hans Holinger who ran Holinger Asset Management in Zurich. The car remained UK registered and after only two years was sold to Mr Timon Telfer-Smith who embarked upon a complete restoration. The engine was rebuilt by Oselli, and gearbox by world-renowned Aston Martin specialists Richard Stewart Williams (RSW). The body and chassis work was handled by Bodylines with Spraytech completing a bare metal respray and SC Coach Trimming fitting a new interior. At the same time, the starter motor was upgraded to a modern unit, and the front brake calipers were upgraded to Coopercraft units. Since this exacting restoration, the history file contains many MOT certificates which confirm a steadily increasing mileage from 90,287 in 1996 to 99,999 in 2005. The tachometer has wound around and is currently displaying less than 5,000 miles.

Today the car is offered with its original engine, having been freshly rebuilt between May and December 2014 by Aston Engineering. The Engine compartment was also completely refurbished, including new brake lines, brake servo and fan cowl.

Accompanying the car is a fabulous history file with many original MOT certificates, invoices and its original Owner’s Manual. Having recently driven this car, we ca confirm it is one of the best DB4’s we have ever seen. The beautifully elegant open-headlight Series 1 DB4 is a true Aston Martin milestone, the start of a hugely successful lineage of grand touring cars.

Price Upon Request

Reference Number 495954

as of 11/4/2017

Dealer
Go to dealer's website  

 

Girardo & Co.  Contact  Location
11a Hannell Road Fulham  Phone  0044 (0) 203 6212923  City  London
LONDON
LONDON
SW6 7RA
 Fax    State  London
United Kingdom  Mobile    Country  United Kingdom United Kingdom
Overview
Car 1960 Aston Martin DB4 Series 1
VIN DB4/236/R 
Exterior / Interior Color      Dark Grey Cardinal Grey /      Bordeaux Red Leather 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

One of only 76 RHD DB4 Series 1 built, the most desirable variant

Retaining its original engine

Presented in its original colour combination of Cardinal Grey with Red Connolly interior

 

The Aston Martin DB4:

 

Aston Martin started work on the new model, the DB4, in 1956, at the same time as developing the DB Mark III. The DB4 team included General Manager John Wyer, Chassis Designer Harold Beach, and engine Designer Tadek Marek. Every major component of the DB4 was new. The elegant four-seater open-headlight body was designed by Carrozzeria Touring of Milan, using their ‘Superleggera’ construction method in which Aluminium panels are fixed to a tubular frame built onto a platform chassis.

 

The new car was shown at the London Motor Show in 1958 and was the first production car capable of 0-100-0 mph in under 30 seconds, claiming to reach the 100-mph mark in only 21 seconds. The Tadek Marek designed DOHC straight six-cylinder 3,670 cc engine produced 240 bhp and was mated to a four-speed manual gearbox. From start to finish, the DB4 was available in five series, with the most desirable being the series 1 cars. These were characterised by simple bumpers, the rear-hinged front bonnet, frameless door windows and large air intake below the front grille.

 

This DB4 Series 1:

 

The Aston Martin DB4 we are offering here, chassis DB4/236/R was built in late 1959 before being first registered in the UK on 13th January 1960. It is one of only 76 RHD DB4 Series 1 cars built and was finished in Cardinal Grey over Red Connolly interior, a combination which it still wears today.

This car was sold new to Mr J.Tate in Oxted through Aston Martin agents Brookland (H.W.Motors) on 21st January 1960 and was issued license plate ‘TA 8’, presumably in reference to the first owners surname. The car was specified new with a HMV Radio Model 500T.

 

As can be seen on copies of the original Aston Martin build sheets which accompany the car, three months after delivery the car was serviced by Aston Martin with the mileage noted as 6,358 miles. Then on 30th August 1960 the car received more service and maintenance work and now the mileage was noted as 14,025, clearly Mr Tate enjoyed spending time behind the wheel of his new DB4.

 

By April 1983 this DB4 was in the hands of its second private owner and on 03rd August 1984 passed an MOT with the mileage now noted as 79,435. Then in November 1989 Mario Auto Repairs removed the engine to begin a complete restoration of the car. Body and paintwork was handled by Hexagon Highgate with the project reaching completion in 1991.

 

In September 1993, this DB4 passed through a Sotheby’s auction to Mr Alan Crisp who bought it on behalf of Mr Hans Holinger who ran Holinger Asset Management in Zurich. The car remained UK registered and after only two years was sold to Mr Timon Telfer-Smith who embarked upon a complete restoration. The engine was rebuilt by Oselli, and gearbox by world-renowned Aston Martin specialists Richard Stewart Williams (RSW). The body and chassis work was handled by Bodylines with Spraytech completing a bare metal respray and SC Coach Trimming fitting a new interior. At the same time, the starter motor was upgraded to a modern unit, and the front brake calipers were upgraded to Coopercraft units. Since this exacting restoration, the history file contains many MOT certificates which confirm a steadily increasing mileage from 90,287 in 1996 to 99,999 in 2005. The tachometer has wound around and is currently displaying less than 5,000 miles.

 

Today the car is offered with its original engine, having been freshly rebuilt between May and December 2014 by Aston Engineering. The Engine compartment was also completely refurbished, including new brake lines, brake servo and fan cowl.

 

Accompanying the car is a fabulous history file with many original MOT certificates, invoices and its original Owner’s Manual. Having recently driven this car, we ca confirm it is one of the best DB4’s we have ever seen. The beautifully elegant open-headlight Series 1 DB4 is a true Aston Martin milestone, the start of a hugely successful lineage of grand touring cars.

 

Price Upon Request