1954 Maserati Maserati A6 GCS/53 Spyder by Fiandri & Malagoli2.800.000-3.600.000 EUR - Estimate

Maserati A6 GCS/53 Spyder Fantuzzi & Malagoli

See all the Images for this Car
French title
Chassis n° 2087
Engine n°2087

- J-G Roger collection
- N°645 in 1955 Mille Miglia, driven by Attilio Buffa
- Excellent, documented, period Italian racing history
- One of the most stunning competition Maserati
- Examined and authenticated by the factory
- Eligible for international historic race events

Reference Number 513047

as of 1/17/2018

Dealer
Go to dealer's website  

Lot 103

Artcurial - Rétromobile  Contact  Location
Salon Rétromobile Hall 1  Phone  +33 1 42 99 20 56  City  Porte de Versailles
75015 Porte de Versailles  Fax  +33 1 42 99 16 39  State  Paris
France  Mobile    Country  France France
Overview
Car 1954 Maserati Maserati A6 GCS/53 Spyder by Fiandri & Malagoli
VIN 2087 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

In 1947, the contract between the Maserati brothers and the Orsi family concerning the running of the company expired and management of Maserati became the sole responsibility of the latter. Before finally leaving the company bearing their name, the brothers Ernesto, Ettore and Bindo Maserati developed a new model, the "1500 Gran Turismo", Tipo A6 (for "Alfieri" and "6-cylinders"). This had an unusual Pinin Farina body with retractable headlights and a 1.5-litre OHC six-cylinder engine. The engineer Alberto Massimino had also been involved in the project, to ensure technical continuity after the founders of the marque left.

During this post-war period, there was a renewed involvement in racing, and the A6 engine served as a base for other versions used in competition cars. Thus, the A6G CS (G for "ghisa", cast iron block, and CS for "Corsa Sport") was fitted with a 2-litre version of the same engine, housed in a minimalist two-seater body with a single central headlight and cycle wings, designed by Medardo Fantuzzi. This triple carburettor CS version was capable of 130 bhp at 6 000 bhp. This car was also tested with the twin-cam engine designed in 1951 by Massimino for the A6GCM (Corsa Monoposto), a Formula 2 single seater that ran in the World Championship from 1953.

Gilco was given the task of building the chassis. It had a fairly classical design with a triangular front axle and a rigid rear axle with leaf springs. This was well thought out and the car proved to be powerful and versatile.

It was in 1953 that the model found its perfect form. Having left Maserati for Stanguellini, Alberto Massimino left a space that was filled by Gioacchino Colombo, known for his work at Alfa Romeo, and the future designer of the V12 Ferrari engine that took his name. Colombo perfected the development of the twin-cam, twin-ignition six-cylinder engine adapted for the sports version, and with its lightly modified suspension, this became the A6GCS/53. Marketed as the " Maserati Sport 2000 ", the car was capable of 170 bhp at 7 300 rpm. It received a totally new body, again designed by Fantuzzi, and built by Fantuzzi and by Fiandri & Malagoli that abandoned the " cycle wings " in favour of a more enveloping form that was both aerodynamic and elegant.

In this configuration, the A6GCS/53 barchetta worked wonders. 52 examples were built (including 47 Fantuzzi and Fiandri & Malagoli barchettas), and this lightweight car became a ferocious and feared competitor in hillclimb and road race events, such as the Mille Miglia (class win in 1953 and third overall in 1954) and the Targa Florio.

This was a historically important model, both aesthetically and technically, laying the foundations for Maserati's revival in competition after the Second World War. It also gave rise to the future 200 S.

This A6 GCS #2087 left the factory on 4 February 1955 (as stated on copy of the discharge note) to be delivered to its first owner, the racing driver from Turin, Attilio Buffa. He entered #2087 in the Torricelle hill-climb and he finished 5th overall. Then Buffa drove it in the Mille Miglia, with race number 645. He reached Rome from the start of the race, in Brescia, in 6h 3min and 4 seconds, but had to retire with a mechanical problem between Florence and Bologna, while in 13th place! The car was red at this time, with red upholstery and a profiled head-rest that was different to the other Maserati A6 GCS/53. It is worth remembering that the same year, Stirling Moss and his journalist co-driver Denis Jenkinson covered the 1,618 kms in 10 hours 7 minutes and 48 seconds travelling at an average of 160 km/h in a Mercedes 300SLR. On May 15 Buffa drove the car in the Bari 6 hours race and he arrived 7th overall, then at the Parma-Poggio di Berceto and he arrived 4th overall. On 26 June that year, Buffa finished 3rd in the Trieste-Opicina hillclimb, he arrived 6th overall at the Aosta-Gran San Bernardo and won the Selva di Fasano hillclimb on 28 August, driving this car. He finished the 1955 season with a 4th place at the Treponti-Castelnuovo hill climb. The following year, on 25 March started again the racing season with a 6th overall in the Torricelle hill-climb, then on 22 April, Buffa drove it in the Coppa Della Consuma hillclimb. The very windy route favoured lightweight cars that were easy to handle and possibly less powerful. In fact it was an Osca 1500 that recorded the quickest time, ahead of a Ferrari 500TR and Buffa's Maserati, who nevertheless finished ahead of Musso's official Maserati, Gerini's 3-litre car and even Bordoni's 3-litre Gordini. On 10 May he came 3rd in the Palermo-Monte Pellegrino hillclimb, and raced the Bolzano-Mendola hillclimb on 1 July, arriving second. This was the same car he had raced in the 1955 Mille Miglia, with its shaped head-rest, central profiled rear view mirror, and the same front grille with a single horizontal bar supporting a central trident on either side. Chassis #2087 also had a distinctive feature on the side of the left front wing. This was a grille allowing hot air to escape from the exhaust that passed in front of the driver's feet. On 22 July Buffa drove the car first in class and 4th overall in the Aosta-Gran San Bernardo hill climb On 28 August, #2087 finished 2nd in the Selva di Fasano hillclimb and in October he took part in the Treponti-Castelnuovo hillclimb, and on 28 October he went on to win the last race of the 1956 season at Sassi-Superga, where he was declared 1956 Italian Hill climb Champion. His Maserati #2087 is easy to identify, with the Trident centred on a single bar on the front grille, a streamlined rear view mirror, profiled head-rest and a grille on the front left wing. For the 1957 Buffa purchased a new 200S and his A6GCS went to the famous Italian driver Odoardo Govoni. Govoni entered numerous races, the first being at Torricelle on 31 March 1957, where he came 2nd behind a more modern Maserati 200 SI. He finished 2nd or 3rd in the many races of the 1957 season, winning the last race at the Vallelunga Autodrome. All competitions entered by #2087 have been confirmed by Adolfo Orsi and are recorded in the excellent historic inspection report carried out by Christian Huet in 2008.

Govoni was so happy of the A6GCS purchased by Buffa the year before that he purchased in 1958 also Buffa's used 200SI and sold #2087 to the Swiss driver Edmond Laub from Lausanne. In 1958, Laub raced extensively the car in Suisse, France and Belgium and he arrived second in the Swiss Championship (Sport car class). Laub raced the car also in 1959 and 1960.

Some ten years later, in the early 1970s, #2087 was identified by the historian Luigi Orsini, as belonging to the collector Sid Colberg in San Francisco. In 1978 it passed into the hands of Rudy Pas, the Dutch dealer, specialising in Maserati competition cars. He bought it from Colberg for just over 10.000USD, with the correct chassis and engine numbers 2087 and in need of restoration. A photo in the file places the car here at this date. On 10 June 1979, #2087 changed hands once more, going to the British collector Andrew Fellowes for the sum of 15 000 GBP, sold through the Italian dealer Massimo Colombo. The coachwork had been re-done and anti-roll bar fitted. The car participated in numerous circuit races between 1980 and 1983. These events are listed in a letter from Fellowes to one of the future owners, Anthony McLean, the British lawyer living near Geneva. In this letter, Fellowes described the car : " I have great memories of the car. You could throw it into a corner and even if you made it drift, it recovered itself easily. Willie Green, who had driven the car in December 1976 for the magazine Old Motors, thought it was one of the best Maseratis he had driven ". Between 1984 and 1989, the car took part in various historic events driven by its next owner, Count Vittorio Zanon. It was then bought back by Rudy Pas in 1990. He exhibited the car at Salon Retromobile, and sold it to Anthony McLean. McLean consigned #2087 to the British auction house Brooks in 1993, where it was sold at auction in Monaco. The buyer was a well-known French collector from the south east of France, who sold it the same year to the current owner. Since then the owner has taken part six times in the Mille Miglia historic and also Le Mans Classic, remaining impressed by how well the car handles and how modern it feels to drive.

It is important to note that the Club Maserati France has confirmed, in a letter dated 11 February 1998, that this Maserati A6 GCS/53 - #2087, was twice identified as being the genuine chassis 2087, having been taken by Anthony McLean to the factory in Modena to be inspected.

In his inspection report, Christian Huet points out various interesting details of the car, stating that " the front drum brakes are Type A6GCM. The original assembly sheet mentions " Tamburi A6 GCS ", but these must have been fitted for the 1956 season, as several A6 GCS were fitted with this type of drum brakes ". After taking off the brake drums, Christian Huet noted that the number 2048-1 was stamped inside. " This number corresponds to one of the single-seater A6 GCM chassis campaigned by the Maserati factory and driven principally by Juan Manuel Fangio in 1953".

Christian Huet concludes his report precisely, with the following words : " The drum brakes were replaced and the shock absorber supports were modified during the sporting evolution of this Maserati to improve its competitiveness between 1955 and 1957. The chassis still bears traces of several knocks it has suffered (slight distortions still present in the chassis caused by its intensive use in competition in the mid-1950s have been meticulously recorded and photographed by the expert). The superstructure of the bodywork, and the bodywork itself have been partly replaced during various repairs carried out during its racing career, as well as during its restoration at the start of the 1980s in the US, and also in Europe ". Huet advised the owner, for the sake of historical accuracy, to return the body to its original configuration, by adding the correct profiling to the rear left head-rest, a grille on the side of the front left wing, two air vents at the back of the bonnet, and a radiator grille with a large trident in a circle supported by a bar either side. This is exactly what the owner did. The car will be delivered to the future owner with the long windscreen, the four original, period corsa wheels, the grille and original conical torque fitted in period for hillclimbing.

 

With its six-cylinder, twin-overhead cam, twin-ignition, dry sump engine, with a capacity of 1985.6cc producing close to 180 bhp in a car weighing around 740kg, we leave you to imagine the agility of this Spyder. The test-drive we carried out will remain engraved in our memories for ever. This A6GCS/53 is a work of art, and without a doubt one of the most iconic and revered Maserati automobiles of the 1950s. It will be delivered with an extensive history file, contained in a suitcase, that includes all the documents mentioned in this description, historic photographs, correspondence between successive owners, the detailed report by Christian Huet and Maserati attestation.

 

This Maserati A6GCS/53 #2087, complete with the original engine n°2087, is one of the rare 60 examples built, and one of very few survivors from this magical era of Italian championships where the greatest drivers took the biggest risks to snatch victory. Today, it retains a large part of its original components, namely its chassis, engine and much of the bodywork. The magnesium gearbox and differential conform. With the added accomplishment of having participated in the Mille Miglia in period and winning the 1956 Italian Championship of the Mountain for its first owner, Attilio Buffa, here is a rare opportunity to acquire one of the jewels in Maserati's crown. It is highly eligible for prestigious historic events such as Le Mans Classis, Mille Miglia and other major international sporting events.

 

Photos © Xavier de Nombel