1951 MG TDSOLD

Current ownership since 1972/1973

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: FVH 263 Engine No: TD2E41196 CC: 1250 Colour: Red Trim Colour: Black MOT: Sept 2010

Reference Number 52275

as of 9/29/2009

Overview
Car 1951 MG TD
VIN TD10404 
Mileage 576 miles 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Although, instantly recognisable as a T-series model thanks to its perpendicular radiator shell, flowing wings and rear-mounted spare wheel, the TD broke important new ground for the Abingdon marque. The first MG sportscar to feature either independent double-wishbone front suspension or rack and pinion steering, the newcomer also boasted a hypoid-bevel back axle, hidden scuttle reinforcement hoop (save for the first few cars) and twin leading-shoe front brakes. Powered by the proven 1250cc XPAG engine allied to four-speed manual transmission, it was reputedly capable of 82mph and 26mpg. Riding on fifteen-inch steel wheels as standard, the TD also sported a mirror-image dashboard (thus facilitating either LHD or RHD production) and chrome-plated bumpers. A great success story, the vast majority of the 29,665 cars produced between 1949 and 1953 were sold overseas.

 

According to the T Register's online Factory Production Record facility (www.tregister.org), this particular example - chassis number TD10404 - was built on 19th September 1951. Reportedly somewhat tired and fitted with a replacement but correct-type engine by the time it entered the current ownership in 1972 / 1973, the two-seater is said to have been subsequently entrusted to T-series specialists Naylor Bros for a rolling restoration. Completed during 1988 work apparently included the fitment of a new ash-framed, alloy-panelled body. Understood to have covered a mere 600 miles or so over the last twenty-one years, the MG is described by the vendor as being in "good" (bodywork, interior trim) or "very good" (engine, gearbox) condition. While, he rates the paintwork as presentable save for "a few minor blemishes". Recent expenditure accounts for a new battery and electric fuel pump and weather equipment includes a hood, tonneau cover and side screens. The accompanying paperwork includes a current MOT certificate valid until September 2010 and various restoration invoices. If you accept that the pretty, more-modern looking TF was a relatively short-lived stop-gap model prior to the introduction of the radically different Syd Enever-penned MGA, the TD was really the last of a long line of classic MGs denoted by their distinctive upright radiator and wing mounted chrome headlamps. It's easy to understand why they have a large and loyal following.