1929 Bentley 4.5 Litre Le Mans Style TourerSOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Following the prototype's good showing at Le Mans in 1927, the 4­ litre Bentley was put into production from then until 1931, a total of 662 chassis being made, plus another 6 assembled from spares in the mid 1930s; these figures do not include the supercharged cars. The 4­ was an excellent and very robust machine, one of them winning Le Mans in 1928; it was believed to have been W.O. Bentley's favourite model. In standard form it was good for 100bhp and 90mph but could be tuned up to 130bhp with a corresponding increase in speed. In supercharged form this could be boosted to 180bhp but Bentley did not approve of this believing that reliability was being sacrificed.

When one considers that the life-span of the W.O. Bentley was only 12 years, it is astonishing how many have survived and how the legend lives on. The five main bearing, overhead camshaft 4­ litre prototype engine again boasted four valves and two spark plugs per cylinder. First tested in the 1927 Le Mans practice car, it was then fitted to the first 4­ Litre chassis with which Frank Clement set the fastest lap in that year's race before retiring in the famous White House crash. It was this car, christened 'Old Mother Gun,' that won the 1928 Le Mans in the hands of Barnato and Rubin. The following year, 4­ Litre models filled the next three places behind the winning Speed Six. The first 4­ Litre road cars, which produced around 105bhp at 3,500rpm via twin 'Sloper' SU carburettors - and could accelerate from 0-60mph in an impressive 15 seconds and on to a 92mph maximum, became available in September 1927. During a four year production life, they underwent a multitude of detail changes but all, bar nine built to special order, featured the Long Standard 10'10" chassis with all round semi-elliptic leaf spring suspension and friction dampers and four wheel brakes with servo. When production ended in 1931, 713 4­ Litres had been built.

This superb W.O Bentley, with such illustrious and well regarded ownership and specialists attached to it, is also offered with a UK V5C document and various other sundry paperwork including specific information from Mcilroy, documentation confirming the cars importation into New Zealand in 2000 and return to the UK. The car also has affixed the New Zealand Land Transport Safety certification plate as well as a rather charming silver plaque on the bulkhead testifying to the cars complete rebuild in April 1964 by A.S.Cooper of Birmingham. Offered today in excellent order, finished as one would expect in British Racing Green with a black hood and tonneau cover, this evocative motorcar will evoke that fabulous era when the cars that crossed the finishing line at Le Sarthe all had Union Flags on the side.

Reference Number 5380

as of 12/12/2006

Overview
Car 1929 Bentley 4.5 Litre Le Mans Style Tourer
VIN HB 3415 
Exterior / Interior Color      British Racing Green /      British Racing Green 
Registration GC 3337 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

HB 3415 was originally purchased by an A.S.G. Buckmaster in July 1929. This superb Le Mans style four seat tourer with its fabric painted coachwork, Le Mans tank and instruments is an excellent vintage touring car which evokes all the style and charisma associated with the Bentley Boys and their racing triumphs of the twenties and early thirties. Bentley Drivers Club ownership and service records exist on the car right up until the outbreak of the Second World War and later owners after Buckmaster included Mr Roy Norton, Ken Meikle John and David Bishop over the last 40 years. In later years this vintage Bentley was located in New Zealand where it was initially owned by Dr Brian Goodman prior to passing into the ownership of noted Bentley specialist and official Bentley Heritage Dealer, Bruce Mcilroy. From Mcilroy's ownership, it was sold, via P&A Woods to the last owner, Mr Derek Anderson, a well known and highly respected Scottish collector whose cars consisted mainly of important pre-war Rolls-Royce and Bentley motorcars. Also accompanied with this important W.O. Bentley is a fitted touring rack and trunk, essential for any enthusiast wishing to undertake the many UK and European rallies this motorcar is eligible for. Indeed the car was recently used over the bank holiday on an extended road trip from London taking in a race event at Castle Coombe and performed without hesitation or incident.