1955 Jaguar XKSOLD

Older restoration, Special Equipment model

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: KSK 319 Engine No: G1410-8/V6555-8 CC: 3442 Colour: Black Trim Colour: Cream MOT: Oct 2010

Reference Number 54051

as of 10/12/2009

Overview
Car 1955 Jaguar XK
VIN A810888 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

Launched at the 1954 Motor Show, the XK140 boasted the same bewitching styling as its forebear but allied it to a host of important mechanical improvements. Chief among these was the adoption of rack-and-pinion steering. Though, the fitment of telescopic shock absorbers (in place of the XK120's antiquated lever-arm dampers) also had a noticeably beneficial effect on handling / roadholding. With its engine and bulkhead repositioned three inches further forward, the new model enjoyed a notably roomier cabin. Available in 'standard', 'special equipment' or 'special equipment plus C-type cylinder head' guises, power and torque outputs ranged from 190bhp / 210lbft to 210bhp / 213lbft. Distinguished by one-piece bumpers and a simpler, more imposing radiator grille, the XK140 was among the fastest cars of its generation. Reputedly capable of over 130mph, it focused public consciousness on Jaguar's continued success at Le Mans (the Coventry marque winning the endurance classic in 1951, 1953, 1955, 1956 and 1957). In production for less than three years, just 3,354 XK140 Roadsters are thought to have left the Browns Lane factory.

 

According to its quoted chassis number, this particular example rolled off the production line in 1955 as a left-hand drive XK140 Special Equipment Roadster. Dispatched overseas when new and repatriated several decades later, it was allocated the UK registration number `KSK 319' by the DVLA on July 1st 1991. Extensively restored (including conversion to right-hand drive) prior to entering the current ownership via Christie's September 1995 Beaulieu auction, the Jaguar has since formed part of a small private collection. Kept garaged, the two-seater was reportedly entrusted to Grange Motors of Brentwood circa 2000 with instructions that it be made roadworthy again. Understood to have seen regular use during most of the intervening summers, if only for short trips, `KSK 319' was allowed to fall dormant again a couple of years ago. Finished in black with cream leather upholstery, the XK140 now presents like an older restoration. Thus, the paintwork and chromework are showing signs of bubbling and tarnishing respectively, while the interior trim is let down by some damage to the top of the passenger seat and slightly worn carpets etc. Under the bonnet, the cylinder head bears the number `V6555-8' which is in keeping with a slightly later XK150 B-type component. Overall, the Roadster appears to be solid and complete. Running and driving upon inspection, it is hoped but not guaranteed that the Jaguar will possess a valid MOT certificate by the time of the sale. Offered with V5 / V5C Registration Documents and sundry restoration photographs.

 

PLEASE NOTE: This vehicle has an MOT until Oct 2010.

 

PLEASE NOTE: Since the printed catalogue went to press the vendor has sent us various invoices showing that (a) the Jaguar was formerly registered as 'WSU 602' and (b) it was the subject of extensive restoration work by Country Classic Cars Ltd Jaguar Specialists of Southam, Warwickshire (later English Classic Cars) between late 1989 and 1991. The engine block is stamped with the number G1410-8 which corresponds with the engine number quoted on the chassis plate (though, as noted in the main catalogue description the Roadster looks to have been upgraded with a XK150 B-type cylinder head).