1960 Jaguar XKSOLD

Former Benson & Hedges concours entrant

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: 8300 WJ Engine No: VA1249-B CC: 3781 Colour: Cream Trim Colour: Red MOT: June 2010

Reference Number 58564

as of 11/20/2009

Overview
Car 1960 Jaguar XK
VIN S825051DN 
Mileage 18,624 miles 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
Known History

The final iteration of the XK sportscar line and the last Jaguar to carry a separate chassis, the XK150 was introduced in May 1957. While its use of independent torsion bar front suspension, a 'live' leaf sprung rear axle and rack and pinion steering mirrored the practice of its XK140 predecessor the new model benefited from all round Dunlop disc brakes. Stylistically, it was brought up to date with less ostentatious curves and a larger, wrap-around single piece windscreen. The dashboard too was altered eschewing wood trim for padded leather. With the E-type still very much under development, Jaguar was keen to sustain the sporting reputation that five remarkable Le Mans victories had earned it (1951, 1953, 1955, 1956 and 1957). Thus from late 1959 onwards, the XK150 could be had in both 3442cc and 3781cc guises and to normal, 'SE' or ultimate 'S' specification. Credited with 220bhp, 'SE' (Special Equipment) 3.8 litre models boasted a B-type cylinder head, wire wheels, front foglights and a twin exhaust system as standard. Only in production for two years, the total number of 'home market' 3.8 litre fixed-head coupes has been estimated at just 656.

 

First registered on 26th January 1960, this particular example was acquired by its previous keeper, Lawrence Dyas Esq of St Helens, in the mid 1980s. A retired motor engineer, Mr Dyas is reputed to have spent some 2,600 hours restoring the Jaguar to concours condition. Judged `Overall Car of the Day' at the Jaguar Enthusiasts' Club's Harewood House meeting on July 9th 1989 and still winning awards when it finished 3rd in the XK150 class at the Grimsthorpe Castle-hosted XK International Day on June 4th 1995, `8300 WJ' has graced the pages of Jaguar Enthusiast and Jaguar Driver magazines not to mention various newspapers. While a photograph on file shows the fixed-head coupe receiving a 3rd-in-class trophy at the 1989 Benson & Hedges Syon Park Concours. Entrusted to Rolls-Royce & Bentley specialists M.B. Jarvie shortly after entering the current ownership in May 1997, the 2 2 was treated to a replacement overdrive unit and thorough waxoyl treatment. Garaged as part of a small private collection, the past dozen years have nevertheless seen it cover circa 6,500 miles. Worthy of close inspection, this impressive Jaguar is offered for sale with period sales brochure, DVLA ownership trace paperwork, various award certificates, old MOTs (dating back to 1988), V5 / V5C Registration Documents, spare parts catalogues, copy magazines and MOT certificate valid until June 2010.