1931 MG D-Type MidgetSOLD

1931 MG D-Type Special

See all the Images for this Car
Registration No: GW 568 Engine No: T.B.A. CC: 1098 Colour: O.E.W. Trim Colour: Brown MOT: Aug 2010

Reference Number 60394

as of 12/3/2009

Overview
Car 1931 MG D-Type Midget
VIN D0291 
Mileage 131,649 miles 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

Introduced at the October 1931 London Motor Show, the MG D-Type shared various design elements with its C-Type racing sibling. As well as a 7ft 0in (later 7ft 2in) wheelbase, the newcomer's chassis featured an underslung back axle, all-round semi-elliptic leaf-sprung suspension, tubular cross members and four-wheel drum brakes. A compact four-seater available in either open (£210) or closed (£250) guises, its SOHC 847cc four-cylinder engine was inspired by WW1 aero engine practice and developed some 27bhp @ 4,000rpm. Allied to three-speed manual transmission, the free revving unit endowed the MG with a reputed 60mph plus top speed. Only in production for two seasons, the D-Type is thought to have accounted for just 250 sales.

 

H&H are indebted to the vendor for the following description: "This particular example - chassis number D-0291 - was supplied new as a four-seater open tourer to UML & George Newman & Co. of London NW1 on 10th December 1931. Finished in black with green upholstery, it was bought by Mr. Ian Connell and there is a record of him entering it for trials in Brighton during 1934. Many D-Types were later fitted with two-seater bodies for competition work as the factory four-seater coachwork was rather heavy. The current body on 'GW 568' was built by John Tucker about thirty-five years ago especially for trialling. The MG was partially dismantled and in need of serious work when the current owner acquired it during 2006. The car is fitted with a 1098cc A-series engine and four-speed manual gearbox (as found in 1960s MG Midgets). Tamar Valley Motors, the MG specialists in Cornwall, were commissioned to undertake an extensive body off restoration; the intent being to create a car that could cope with modern traffic and also participate in hillclimbs and trials. The refurbishment entailed a thorough examination and service of the drivetrain with components being replaced as necessary. The chassis was strengthened and the body stiffened with several new panels including the front valance and driveshaft tunnel. The MG further benefited from attention to its wiring, radiator, bulkhead, marine ply floor, dynamo, starter motor, upgraded 12in brakes, shock absorbers, halfshafts, rear hubs, leaf springs and rear trunnions. Treated to a new coil, battery, Bluemells steering wheel, wire wheels (x2), tyres (x5), headlamps and tail lights, the D-Type Special also boasts flashing indicators. Subsequent inspection by a vintage specialist confirmed that the work was done to a good standard. 'GW 568' is now a very sound car ready to give many more years of lively motoring".