1925 Aston Martin 16 Valve Grand Prix Car SOLD
See all the Images for this Car
Just before the outbreak of the First World War, two men successfully competed in hill climbs in a modified Singer and were selling Singer cars from their workshops at 16 Henniker Place, Callow Street, Kensington, London. But for engineer, Robert Bamford and sporting motorist, Lionel Martin building their own car was the ultimate goal. Bamford and Martin Ltd was incorporated in 1913 to formalise the partnership between Martin and Bamford. The company was formed and the marque was called Aston-Martin; Aston Clinton was a famous hill climb venue where Bamford had much success. The first car, was registered in 1915, a second car was not finished until 1920 by which time the First World War was over, and Bamford and Martin moved into more spacious premises at 53 Abingdon Road. This was the home of the company for the next 5 years. During this time a total of 60 cars were built, many for racing. The site is now home to luxury houses and has been named 'Vantage Place'. There is a plaque now attached to the development which shows 'Green Pea' one of the 1922 Grand Prix cars.
Of all the early Aston Martins to exist, this particular car is one of the more well known and historically important, as being none other than the famous Captain George Eyston to whom it belonged when new. Captain George Edward Thomas Eyston was born in 1897 and during his racing career established more records than virtually any other driver including breaking the land Speed record three times.

Between 1926 and 1954 Eyston took hundreds of records at Brooklands, Montlhery, Pendine Sands and Bonneville using cars ranging from a 750 c.c. M.G to the 73 litre 4,500 horse power Thunderbolt. Originally a motor cycle racer before the Great War, he started to race cars in 1923 coming 4th in the Brooklands 200 mile race of that year and went on to drive many makes of car including Alfa Romeo, Maserati and Riley although he is possibly best remembered for his M.G.s.

Eyton initially entered the car in the JCC 200 mile race at Brooklands in 1925 and also competed in the BARC Whitsun meeting where Eyston came first in the car. Eyston also entered the car in the 1926 British Grand Prix also held at Brooklands, this is significant in that the 1926 event was the first British Grand Prix to be held.

In later years the car was restored by pre-war Aston guru, Derek Edwards, and started another phase of its illustrious life in historic circles as a superb representation of the earliest of all Aston Martin Grand Prix cars. Indeed in 1971 the car was chosen to feature at the Geneva Motorshow.

The car continues to compete in AMOC and VSCC events right up until the 1980s where upon it was sold by Coys to its current Japanese owner, who some two decades after his purchase has entrusted Coys with the sale of this most rare, historic and important Aston Martin from the earliest day of the now Iconic manufacturer.

The car is extensively documented in a number of publications including Motor Sport magazine, A History of the Brooklands Motor Course by Bill Boddy, The AMOC register and others. It is complete with a number of spare parts and other items and all UK taxes have been paid on the cars return to the UK from Japan.

A most historic machine from the earliest days of Aston Martin and from the early days of motor sport.



Reference Number 641

as of 6/7/2006

Overview
Car 1925 Aston Martin 16 Valve Grand Prix Car
Configuration Left Hand Drive (LHD) 
Options Exterior: Wire wheels 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car