1933 UW Front ‘Prototype’ by Gläser350,000-380,000 GBP - Estimate

UW Front ‘Prototype’ by Gläser

See all the Images for this Car
![CDATA[
The Audi UW Front was manufactured in the Horch factory in 220 and 225 versions (depending on the engine 2.0 and 2.25 litres). In 1933, the UW Front became the first European car combining front-wheel drive with a six-cylinder engine. The original vehicle (220) had OHV straight six-cylinder with 1950 cm³ and maximum output 40 hp at 3500 rpm. The letters ‘UW’ in the car’s name stood for ‘Umgekehrter Wanderer’ and referred to the fact that it featured a Wanderer engine that had been ‘umgekehrt’ (turned around) through 180 degrees to drive wheels which, on this application, were actually ahead of the engine. In other words, the engine was located behind the front axle, which was quite common in vehicles at the time. The UW Front model was the only serially produced Audi car. There were altogether 1817 vehicles of various types depending on the body, starting with four-door sports sedans up to two-door cabriolets.
And then there were body shops talking about the UW Front model; Gläser from Dresden in particular. It was established in 1864 by Carl Heinrich Gläser in Rampische Straße and the original intent was to have a workshop to make carriages and sledges. Due to the high quality the workshop even received assignments from royal stables. In 1898 Friedrich August Emil Heuer, son-in-law of Gläser who was a blacksmith originally, became co-owner. Gläser died in 1902.
Emil Heuer extended the company and unified all operations in the factory in Dresden-Johannstadt in 1913. The company employed more than 200 people and had state-of-the-art technology. Before too long they started producing bodywork for many famous brands. The base was traditionally wooden skeleton cladded with textile or based on the Weymann patent with a flexible textile, and later, metal. Gläser produced classical bodywork such as phaeton, coupé, landaulet, limousine, pullman or cabriolet. During World Word II Gläser-Karosserie GmbH focused on the production of panzers and bodywork for war vehicles and parts of planes. The airstrikes on 13th and 14th February 1945 destroyed almost all the Gläser factory.
The owner bought this fabulous car in Kalningrad in 1984 from a Russian citizen who inherited it from his father, who had kept the car hidden in his basement because, after World War II, the Soviet Goverment confiscated all the cars from its citizens, as there was a substantial lack of vehicles. From 1984 to 2012 it was stored in a garage in Yerevan, Armenia and then renovation began. The history before 1984 is vague. The only thing that is known for sure is that someone disassembled the car after the war (it was usual to do that with German cars to prevent the government from confiscating them) and hid it. The previous owner was completely unaware he had a unique and valuable vehicle at home, let alone knowing about its history.
The owner set about discovering the history of this vehicle but neither the official Audi museum nor other experts were able to help. However, all agreed on the fact that this was not a serial-production car as there were no others of the kind. Firstly, its equipment featured several things that were only seen in later produced models; for instance, flaps built in the windscreen frame, inner steering wheel frame, leather seats, fog light and wire wheels and secondly, it had a 3-litre engine.
It was presumed, therefore, that it could have been a one-off concept tailor-made cabriolet for someone of importance. With its production in 1933 coinciding with the NSDAP getting to power in Germany, it is entirely probable that the car was manufactured for a prominent member of the German military. A commoner was unlikely to be in a position to order such a vehicle and the symbol of the eagle and swastika on the keychain support this hypothesis.
Another possibility is that someone made changes on the car during the war or just after. However, this would appear unlikely because of the Gläser and Luxus Cabriolet tags.
With its leather interior, walnut dashboard and cabriolet styling, this fabulously rare and historically fascinating pre-war luxury vehicle is indeed something to behold. Powered by a 3 litre UW engine and mated to a 4 speed gearbox, it would grace any collection or would be suitable at many Concours d’Elegance competitions worldwide.]]

Reference Number 648231

as of 4/16/2021

Dealer
 

Lot 101906

Historics Auctioneers - Ascot Racecourse  Contact  Location
Ascot Racecourse High St  Phone  +44 1753 639170  City  Ascot
ASCOT
BERKSHIRE
SL5 7JX
 Fax  0844 372 2387  State  Berkshire
United Kingdom  Mobile    Country  United Kingdom United Kingdom
Overview
Car 1933 UW Front ‘Prototype’ by Gläser
VIN 17505 
Mileage 3,060 miles 
Configuration Left Hand Drive (LHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this Car