1957 Bentley S1 Continental High Line Fastback by H.J.Mulliner 
See all the Images for this Car

Reference Number 667927

as of 10/15/2021

Dealer
Go to dealer's website  

 

Frank Dale & Stepsons  Contact  Location
Unit 11 Trafalgar Way, Tuscam Trade Park  Phone  020 8847 5447  City  Sandhurst
SANDHURST
SURREY
GU15 3BN
 Fax  020 8560 5748  State  Surrey
United Kingdom  Mobile    Country  United Kingdom United Kingdom
Overview
Car 1957 Bentley S1 Continental High Line Fastback by H.J.Mulliner
VIN BC10EL 
Exterior / Interior Color      Silver /      Tan 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Automatic 
More Images
See all the Images for this Car
Known History

The success of the R Type Continental between 1952 and 1955 lead to the creation of the S1 Continental chassis, which was released in April of 1955.For the first time Bentley enthusiasts had a greater choice of coachwork designs to choose from with H.J. Mulliner and Park Ward responsible for bodying the majority of the S1 Continentals produced. One of the most popular designs was the fastback coachwork by H.J. Mulliner, built to design number 7400. It was modified to fit the 3 inch longer S1 Continental chassis and in styling terms was adapted further from the R Type Continental with a raised front wing line and less bulbous rear wings with a higher line which were finished with stylish new swage lines. One hundred and nineteen bodies were built by H.J.Mulliner between 1955 and 1957 to Design No 7400, which was then followed by Design No 7466, a modified Fastback design which is sometime referred to as the “high line” option.

 

 

 

It was sparingly produced with just sixteen cars in right hand drive built to this design by H.J.Mulliner, with a further four cars built in left hand drive. Design No 7466 differentiated itself from Design No 7400 with re-positioned front side lights, which were relocated on top of the wings, lipped wheel arches and a repositioned fuel filler cap. The finished result was yet another triumph for the H.J.Mulliner design team.

 

 

 

This particular car, Chassis No BC10EL is one of the sixteen cars built in right hand drive. It was completed in November 1957, originally finished in black with a tan leather interior. It was supplied by Mann Egerton Ltd of Norwich in early 1958 to its first owner, Mr A G Marshall of Cambridge. The car changed hands a couple of times during its early life before heading north of the border in 1967 when purchased by Robt. Taylor & Co of Stirlingshire.

 

 

 

The present owner has entrusted BC10EL to Frank Dale & Stepsons for annual maintenance and improvements since 2009. Works during this time have included various overhauls, servicing and the instillation of parcel shelf mounted air conditioning. It has been used sparingly in recent years, for social occasions and as the owners London car when in the capital. It drives beautifully and still retains its original tan leather interior which is now charmingly patinated but very sound. Chassis No BC10EL comes complete with copy chassis cards and an extensive file covering the last decade plus of works carried out by Frank Dale & Stepsons. A charming example of this very rare and attractive design by H.J.Mulliner.