1964 Rolls-Royce Phantom VI125,000-145,000 GBP - Estimate

Rolls-Royce Phantom V Limousine by Mulliner Park Ward Ex-HRH Princess Alexandra

See all the Images for this Car
![CDATA[
Since its introduction in 1959, there has been, simply put, no other automobile quite like the Rolls-Royce Phantom V. While other luxury manufacturers continued to produce limousines, the Phantom V was a last vestige of old-world craftsmanship, including its availability as a bare chassis for custom coachwork - provided one could find a custom coachbuilder.
Numerous styles were available, both from H.J. Mulliner and Park Ward, soon to merge into a single unit under Rolls-Royce auspices, and from the surviving independent firms of James Young and Chapron. James Young in particular crafted some truly exquisite designs, known for their exceptional balance of proportion, with artful touches to the windows and, frequently, a swept rear of beautiful line. The fit and finish throughout was exceptional and the list of options limited only to the depth of one’s pocketbook. As with almost all Rolls-Royce models, the Phantom V was continuously evolved and improved over production. Famous owners included Queen Elizabeth II and her mother, Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother, and also Mohammad Reza Pahlavi the Shah of Iran. The Governor of Hong Kong used a Rolls-Royce Phantom V for ceremonial occasions.
This fabulous example was sold to its first owner in 1964 via Jack Barclay in London and copies of its build sheet can be seen in the history file. The interior, originally beige leather to the front and beige cloth in the rear, is now dark red leather. During its time, this Phantom V was owned by Sir Angus Ogilvy and HRH Princess Alexandra. Thereafter the car found its way to the USA and was subsequently returned to the UK through The Real Car Company where it was bought by a Mr Gifford who restored the car. When Royal Yacht Britannia was decommissioned and moored in Scotland, they were keen to have one of the original Royal cars on board for display; however this request was declined by the Royal household. So Mr Gifford, a strong Royalist, loaned his car for display onboard the Royal Yacht and it was craned on board in May 2000. Following Mr Gifford’s death, a letter from Lieutenant Colonel Richard Macfarlane confirms to Mrs Gifford the car was owned by Sir Angus Ogilvy and HRH Princess Alexandra. The present owner purchased the car in May 2017 and, since then, has further restored it, including an engine and gearbox rebuild with Hillier Hill (invoices in the history file). HRH Princess Alexandra gave permission for the Royal crest to be placed on the rear door cappings. This wonderful and historic luxury classic is offered in superb order with all woodwork in excellent condition and it comes with crystal glasses with decanter to the rear. Sheer British opulence at its finest!]]

Reference Number 668750

as of 10/23/2021

Dealer
 

Lot 109713

Historics Auctioneers - November  Contact  Location
Mercedes-Benz World Brooklands Drive  Phone  +44 1753 639170  City  Weybridge
WEYBRIDGE
SURREY
KT13 0SL
 Fax  0844 372 2387  State  Surrey
United Kingdom  Mobile    Country  United Kingdom United Kingdom
Overview
Car 1964 Rolls-Royce Phantom VI
VIN 5VD19 
Registration BFH 1 
Mileage 37,311 miles 
Configuration Right Hand Drive (RHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car