1956 Mercedes-Benz 300 SC CoupeSOLD

RM Auction - Vintage Motor Cars at Amelia Island - March 10, 2007

See all the Images for this Car
ESTIMATE: $180,000 - $220,000

$187,000 Sold

Specifications:
175bhp 2,996 cc overhead camshaft, fuel-injected inline
six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual column shift transmission and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 2600mm (114.2")

As Mercedes-Benz had historically catered to luxury car buyers, they sought to produce upscale models as soon as possible following World War II. Not only did they wish to satisfy the re-emerging need, they also wanted to protect their position in what was a lucrative and profitable market.

It was shortly after the initial showing of the 300 at the 1951 Frankfurt Motor Show that Mercedes-Benz introduced another variation at the Paris show, the 300S. It combined a shorter wheelbase with a more powerful multi-carburetor engine and two-door coachwork in both open and closed styles. The engine delivered 163bhp at 5,000 rpm and made the 300S an excellent performer. It has been reported that Mercedes-Benz factory driver Karl Kling could lap Germany’s famous Nuburgring Nordschleife faster in the 300S than in any road-going Mercedes-Benz since the legendary SSK.

Each Mercedes-Benz 300 was essentially custom built, drawing from the best craftsmen and artisans from within the vast Mercedes-Benz organization to create luxury automobiles that were as good as any built in the world at the time. They were easily capable of cruising on the autobahn at three digit speeds, even with a full load of occupants and their luggage. Luxuriously finished and trimmed in the highest quality materials, the Mercedes-Benz 300 was fast, comfortable, safe and elegant. The 300s were the most elegant automobiles of the 1950s, and if any automobile of the post World War II era deserves the description “classic”, it is the Mercedes-Benz 300.

In 1955, Mercedes-Benz introduced the final variation of the 300S, the 300Sc. It was powered by a detuned version of the 300SL’s Bosch mechanical fuel-injected engine giving 175 horsepower (using the German DIN system but equivalent to about 200 horsepower measured on the more generous SAE standards) and importantly, it adopted Mercedes-Benz’s new “low-pivot” swing axle rear suspension design. This had been developed and perfected on the 300SL and gave more predictable cornering at high speeds.

For the entire 300Sc production spanning 1955-1958, only 98 examples were made in coupe form. The example presented here was built February 1, 1956 and was registered in the United States until it was shipped to Germany in 1990. In 1991, the 300Sc commenced a four-year restoration, during which the engine was fully rebuilt as was the entire brake system, the front and rear axles, the steering system, and the complicated electrical systems. Finishing off the restoration, the elegant interior woodwork was returned in its entirety to its original splendor.

In addition to the highly desirable fuel injected inline six-cylinder engine, the 300Sc Coupe is equipped with a sunroof, a large rear window and its original Becker radio.

Shortly after the restoration was completed, the 300Sc Coupe participated in the Dekra Schwarzwaldrally (Black Forest Rally) and is reported to still be a fit running example.

The postwar Mercedes-Benz 300Sc Coupe is one of the most elegant motor cars of the period, there is perhaps no better example of modern convenience, superior mechanical engineering and beautiful coachwork mated together in one form.

Reference Number 7400

as of 2/20/2007

Overview
Car 1956 Mercedes-Benz 300 SC Coupe
VIN 1880146500134 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car