1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWBSOLD

RM Auction: Ferrari - Legenda e Passione - Sunday, May 20, 2007

See all the Images for this Car
Estimate: 1,700,000€-2,000,000€

1,870,000 € Sold

Specifications: 240 bhp 2953 cc single overhead camshaft V-12 engine; three Weber 36/40 DCL6 carburetors; four-speed manual gearbox; solid rear axle with semi elliptical leaf springs; independent front suspension with parallel A- arms and coil springs; four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 2,400mm (94.5")

Once Enzo Ferrari realized that the marque ’ s wealthy racing followers would purchase all the Grand Touring road cars that he could produce, this became the preferred method of financing his beloved racing team. In the past, sales of used racing cars and commercial sponsorships had generated funds, but neither consistently nor in sufficient quantity.

In the first seven years – the 1947 to 1954 period – only about 200 road cars left the factory, while sales for the first series-produced GTs, the Boano and Ellena 250 GT models totaled some 150 units in their two and a half years of manufacture. After that, production expanded rapidly. The mechanical specifications of the GT Ferraris in this glorious era were always based on the company ’ s current racing cars, a fact which was not lost on sporting motorists who coveted these thoroughbreds – even at the US$10,000 plus port-of-entry price into Ferrari ’ s most important export market.

This concept also made GT Ferraris an excellent customer racing car because of their dual-purpose personality. Seeing a niche market opportunity, the factory built some 94 long wheelbase berlinettas – “ The Tour de France ” model was based on the Boano/Ellena chassis but with lightweight alloy bodies and slightly improved engine output. “ Gentlemen drivers ” loved them and virtually dominated European GT racing in the famed TdFs from 1957 to 1959; however, the TdF was only a precursor to the mighty Ferrari that was to follow – the ultimate and even more competitive dual purpose machine – the 250 GT Short Wheelbase Berlinetta.

Introduced in 1959, the 250 GT Berlinetta was designed with three objectives: first, to be more aerodynamically efficient; second, to be as compact as possible; and third, to provide appropriate accommodations and luggage space for a true gran turismo automobile. In the process, Pininfarina and Scaglietti created one of the most beautiful automobiles of all time, a succinct, straightforward and purposeful blending of form following function that is pleasing from all aspects.

Seven cars, known today as “ Interim Berlinettas ” , were built on the 2600mm long wheelbase chassis before construction was shifted to the 2400mm short wheelbase chassis, a change deemed desirable to improve the cars ’ responsiveness in cornering. Still called the 250 GT Berlinetta by Ferrari, its wheelbase has subsequently been firmly attached to the factory ’ s model designation to distinguish it from numerous other 250 GT models and the 2600mm chassis “ Interim Berlinettas. ”

As the 250 GT SWB Berlinetta, it has established a reputation and following, second only to its successor, the illustrious 250 GTO. Pininfarina ’ s body design as executed by Scaglietti on the 2400mm short wheelbase chassis excels in all aspects. It is unmistakably Ferrari, executed in a very restrained way. Its purity of shape is not compromised by unnecessary trim or faux scoops. The driver ’ s visibility from the ample greenhouse is also excellent while the corners of the car are tightly wrapped around the wheels and its gently rounded masses speak unambiguously of potency and power.

The 250 GT SWB Berlinetta was immediately successful in racing and remained so until its place at the head of the GT pack was gradually assumed by the GTO. The list of competition successes is so long as to be pointless to recount in detail but included GT category wins at Le Mans in 1960 and 1961, Tour de France wins in 1960, 1961 and 1962 and of course Stirling Moss ’ s pair of Goodwood Tourist Trophy wins in 1960 and 1961. The 250 GT SWB Berlinetta is the last true dual purpose grand turismo built in quantity by Ferrari – or anyone else for that matter – and is in all respects a fitting milestone to mark the end of a legendary age.

Chassis No. 3401 GT

The 135th of 165 250 GT SWB Berlinettas built, s/n 3401 GT was sold new on April 21st, 1962 to an Italian gentleman, Sig. Molgara, and registered on Milan plates bearing the number “ MI 651485 ” . One of just 36 examples completed in 1962, its original colors were green with a black “ lusso ” interior.

Molgara kept the Ferrari for eight years before selling it to Hans Wiemuller of Munich, Germany. Two years later, in 1972, he sold the car to its next long term owner, another German named Georg Amtmann.

Amtmann had the car fully restored, and changed the color to Rosso Corsa. He enjoyed the car for the next 13 years before s/n 3401 GT went to its fourth owner, Swiss collector Erich Traber via dealer Albrecht Guggisberg ’ s Oldtimer Garage in 1985. The restoration was updated in 1987 by Sportgarage Graber in Wichtrach, Switzerland.

Later in 1987, s/n 3401 GT was purchased by Swiss resident Italian car dealer Eugenio Amoruso. He used it in a variety of events for the next two years.

In November of 1992, s/n 3401 GT was purchased by dealer Edgar Herbert Engel of Haltern, Germany, who sold it a few months later to Dirk Rainer Ebeling of Wiesbaden. Ebeling had the car completely restored again, and kept it for about three years before selling it to Franco Meiners in August of 1996.

In 1997, Meiners decided to use the car in vintage racing. He had the original engine (No. 3401) removed from the car and set aside while a race-prepared engine from a 250 GTE was installed; it is believed that the external fuel filler was added at this point. The car was inspected and homologated by GIPI Cars in Opera-Milan, Italy, following which FIA Homologation Certificate #1538 was issued for the car.

For three years Mieners and his partner Bernard Duc raced s/n 3401 GT at various historic events, eventually deciding to offer the car for sale through dealer Axel Schuette. The original engine was reinstalled, and the car was offered on and off by Schuette until July of 2002, when it joined the renowned collection of Bruce McCaw of Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.

In August of 2005, Seattle-based developer Ken McBride acquired s/n 3401 GT in a trade deal with Bruce McCaw shortly before selling it to the vendor.

Today, after several owners and at least three restorations, s/n 3401 GT is in wonderful condition. The car is believed to be in very good operating condition as well. All its major components – including body, chassis, engine, gearbox and rear axle, remain original to the car.

The Ferrari 250 GT SWB is eligible for every important motoring event on the planet, will never be denied entry into any Ferrari club event and will outperform nearly everything in its class with ease at the hands of a skilled driver. Sensational looks coupled with unsurpassed driving dynamics and well-proven investment potential makes s/n 3401 GT one of those rare opportunities to acquire a car that is a pleasure to invest in – as well as an investment in pleasure.

Reference Number 8577

as of 4/15/2007

Overview
Car 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB
VIN 3401GT 
Exterior / Interior Color      Red /      Tan 
Configuration Left Hand Drive (LHD) 
Transmission Manual Shift 
Options Exterior: Wire wheels
Interior: Leather interior, Wooden steering wheel 
More Images
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car