«  anamera the best showcase for your... <- Back to: Archive Audi factory drivers at winter...  »

Collectors Corner - Ferrari 250 Testarossa


Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0732TR

Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0732TR

Ferrari 250 TR Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0666

Ferrari 250 TR Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0666

Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa s/n 0666, June 22, 1958 24h Le Mans driven by Dan Gurney & Bruce Kessler

Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa s/n 0666, June 22, 1958 24h Le Mans driven by Dan Gurney & Bruce Kessler

Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa s/n 0666, June 22, 1958 24h Le Mans driven by Dan Gurney & Bruce Kessler

Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa s/n 0666, June 22, 1958 24h Le Mans driven by Dan Gurney & Bruce Kessler

Ferrari 250 TR Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0666

Ferrari 250 TR Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0666

Ferrari 250 TR Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0666

Ferrari 250 TR Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0666

Ferrari 250 TR Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0666

Ferrari 250 TR Scaglietti Spyder s/n 0666

Ferrari 250 TR s/n 0704TR

Ferrari 250 TR s/n 0704TR

Ferrari 250 TR s/n 0704TR

Ferrari 250 TR s/n 0704TR

Ferrari 250 TR s/n 0704TR

Ferrari 250 TR s/n 0704TR

Ferrari 250 TR s/n 0704TR

Ferrari 250 TR s/n 0704TR

 

The 250 Testarossa was designed to offer customers a replacement for the 500 TRC, since a 3 litre engine capacity was now allowed for prototypes. As a result the reliable V12 from the 250 Gran Turismo was used, radically tuned with six twin-choke carburettors. Compared with the 500 TRC, only the valve covers were painted red, but the car still kept the Testarossa name and won the Manufacturers World Championship in 1958.





... Ferrari Register 250 TR >>>

Technical Specifications


Engine

Type

60° V12, light alloy cylinder block and head

Layout

Front longitudinal

Design

Colombo, construction Number 128LM

Bore x Stroke

73.0 x 58.8

Displacement

2953 cc

Compression Ratio

9.8:1

Layout

Single overhead

Camshaft Drive

Chain

Cam Followers

Roller

Valve Design

Inclined

Valves

2 / Cylinder

Values Springs

Hairpin (early TR's), coil valve springs

Spark Plugs

1 / Cylinder

Ignition

2 Distributors

Carburetors

6 * 38 DCN

Output

300 bhp @ 7200 rpm

Top speed

250 km/h


Drive Train

Clutch

Single dry plate

No. of Gears

4-Speed & reverse

Type

All synchro

Location

With engine

Axle Ratios

3.55, 3.77, 4.00, 4.25, 4.59, 4.86:1


Chassis

Chassis Type

526

Chassis

Welded Tube

Frame

Ladder Type

Wheelbase

2350 mm

Front Track

1308 mm

Rear Track

1300 mm

Front Suspension

Independent Double wishbones, coils springs

Rear Suspension

Rigid Axle (customer cars), De Doin (factory cars)

Springs

Coils

Shocks

Houdaille

Brakes

Drum

Front Wheels

Borrani RW 3077

Rear Wheels

Borrani RW 3019

Front Tires

5.50 x 16

Rear Tires

6.00 x 16


General

Body Builder

Scaglietti

Curb Weight

900 kg

S/n assigned

22

Total Built

20


Information from the factory test sheets

s/n

engine type

bore x stroke

capacity

power

0710TR

128 LM

73x58

2953 cc

280 hp @ 7200 rpm

0724TR

128 LM

73x58

2953 cc

287 hp @ 7200 rpm

0736TR

128 LM

73x58

2953 cc

297 hp @ 7300 rpm

0666 was the 1st prototype and used a 290 MM chassis, it a Scuderia Ferrari car and was raced 1957 May 26 at the 1000km Nuerburring race by Masten Gregory and placed 10th. In Le Mans it did not start after a piston failure during practice. August 11 it started at the GP Sweden and was driven by Olivier Gendebien and Maurice Trintignant it failed to finish, there after it was rebodied by Scaglietti pontoon fender style.
November 3rd it finished 3rd in the 1000km Caracas race driven by Graf Berghe von Trips and Wolfgang Seidel, in the 1958 1000km Buenos Aires race it could finish one postion better, Musso and Gendebien helped after their car retired. Gino Munaron and Wolfgang Seidel drove 0666 at the Targa Florio but did not finish.
In 1958 it was sold to Luigi Chinetti, he entered it at the 14h Le Mans for Dan Gurney and Bruce Kessler, the was involved in an accident and rebuilt in Maranello and sold to Rod Carveth, it started in 12h Sebring, 1000km Nuerburgring and 24h Le Mans but failed to finish.

0704TR was the 2nd prototype based on a500 TRC chassis, it was a Scuderia Ferrari car and started 1957 in Le Mans with Olivier Gendebien and Maurice Trintignant but did not finish. Next race was the GP Sweden with Masten Gregory and Wolfgang Seidel (dnf), then in the 1000km Caracas race it finished 4th and scored victory in the 1000km Buenos Aires and the 12h Sebring race driven by Phil Hill and Peter Collins. The same driver pairing finished the Targa Florio iun 4th position, Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins finished on the 2nd podium position in the 1000km Nuerburging race, but failed to finish in teh 24h Le Mans. In 1958 it was sold to John von Neumann and campaigned successfully in the States, maily West Coast races. In 1960 it was sold to Dick Hahn of Yakima, WA, USA and campaigned by Jerry Grant. In 1961 was sold to Arthur True be donated it to the Ford Dearborn Museum, in 1997 it was bought by Abraham Kogan.

0710TR, this was the silver press conference car presented on November 22 1957, it was sold to John von Neumann and already in December entered in the Nassau Sppeed week races, driven by Richie Ginther and John Neumann both finished 6th OA Richie 2nd in IC . Von Neumann and Wolfgang Seidel shared the drive in the 1000km Buenos Aires rcae but did not finish. The next race was the 12h of Sebring John von Neumann and Richie Ginther dropped out in the 11th hour when running 3rd. In 1958 John and his daughter Josie and Richie Ginther drove 0710TR in Santa Barbara (3rd OA), Riverside (3rd, 1st, 3rd), Vaca Valley (1st), Minden (1st, 1st) Santa Barbara (1st, 2nd, 1st), Del Mar (1st, 2nd) Hour Glass (1st, 3rd) Minden (9th), Laguna Seca (1st, 3rd, 3rd) and Pomona (dnf and 7th). In 1960 Jack Nethercutt became the new owner, before it went on to Richard Brashear.

0714TR was delivered on January 8th 1958 to Piero Drogo of Venezuela, he finshed January 26th the 1000km Buenos Aires race in 4th position and 12th in the GP Cuba. The Testarossa was sold to Alan Connel of Ft. Worth, who raced it with success in Daytona Beach (1st), Pensicola National (2nd), Marlboro (6th), Virginia (4th), Bridgehampton Road (7th OA), Galvestone Spring Race (1st IC), Kiwians GP (4th), Cumberland (2nd IC), Road America (5th OA) and Montgomery National (1st IC). In 1960 it was sold to Charles Hayes, it was raced by Wayne Burnett who also became the next owner. In 2005 it was offered by SMC for $11 mio.

0716TR was a Scuderia Ferrari car and entered in the 1000km Buenos Aires race where it was driven by Luigi Musso and Olivier Gendebien, subsequently it was sold to Celso Lara Barberis of Brazil, he won in Interlagos, in 1964 Piero Drogo removed 0716TR's original 6-carb engine to put it into his 'Cegga' special and it was rebodied with a GTO like body by Drogo, i was raced by Camillo Cristofaro in Campeonato Carioca, Rio de Janeiro and finished 1st, in 1972 it was owned by Michael Bachman a California resident, in 1978 it was owned by Ed Niles. In 2007 0716TR has just undergone a full restoration by Neil Twyman Racing Ltd in the United Kingdom. During the course of the restoration, it was noted that the car was fitted with the larger drum brakes particular to the works Testa Rossa models, which this car was on its race debut, and also evidence was found on the firewall of damage on the right side, which was sustained in the first race accident. There was also evidence of straightening of the left steering arm, which sustained damage in the same accident. A welded up oval opening was also found in the firewall, which had originally been fed by a scoop on the inner front left wing, to feed cool air to the driver’s feet. This is verified by period photographs showing this intake, and also further scoops on the sill panels to feed air to the rear brakes, which have all been reinstated.

0716TR is currently fitted with a type 128 LM Testa Rossa engine with “numero interno” GES 14. Ferrari factory records indicate that this Testa Rossa engine was a spare unit used by the factory racing team in 250 Testa Rossa, chassis s/n 0770, at the 1959 Le Mans test day, the Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000km race the same year. They also show that it was used in 250 Testa Rossa, chassis # 0768, at Monza and at Goodwood during 1959.
In 2007 0716TR has undergone a full restoration by Neil Twyman Racing Ltd in the United Kingdom. During the course of the restoration, it was noted that the car was fitted with the larger drum brakes particular to the works Testa Rossa models, which this car was on its race debut, and also evidence was found on the firewall of damage on the right side, which was sustained in the first race accident. There was also evidence of straightening of the left steering arm, which sustained damage in the same accident. A welded up oval opening was also found in the firewall, which had originally been fed by a scoop on the inner front left wing, to feed cool air to the driver’s feet. This is verified by period photographs showing this intake, and also further scoops on the sill panels to feed air to the rear brakes, which have all been reinstated.

0716TR is currently fitted with a type 128 LM Testa Rossa engine with “numero interno” GES 14. Ferrari factory records indicate that this Testa Rossa engine was a spare unit used by the factory racing team in 250 Testa Rossa, chassis s/n 0770, at the 1959 Le Mans test day, the Targa Florio and the Nurburgring 1000km race the same year. They also show that it was used in 250 Testa Rossa, chassis # 0768, at Monza and at Goodwood during 1959.

0718TR was sold silver with red stripe oto Julio Mariscal of Mexico City, MEX, when sold to Gordon Glyer it was white and after a couple of races it was painted red, it was raced in Vaca Valley (3rd), Riverside (8th), Laguna Seca (3rd), Sacramento (1st, 1st), later the engien was removed and replaced with a Chevy V8, in 1984 it was owned by Bill Chzar who installed engine 0750, in 1987 Bob Baker of Omaha was the next owner and re-united 0718TR with it's orginial engine. 

0720TR was sold to Luigi Chinetti, who sold it to James Johnston of Meadow Dale, IL, it won both the Lawrenceville race, in Marlboro it finshed 6th OA and 2nd IC, both raced in Louisville were finished 2nd OA, Johnston finished Indianapolis 1st IC, Cumberland 5th OA, in June both Lawrenceville races were finished 3rd also the Road America race in Elkhart Lake, in limerock 0720TR finished 3rd IC, Akron (2nd OA), Milwaukee (6th OA and 5th OA), in September Road America 500 (2nd OA), Meadowdale (3rd OA and 5th OA), 12h Sebring (7th OA), Marlboro was one 2 dnf's, Cumberland (6th OA), St. Louis (5th OA, 5th OA), Bridgehampton (2nd OA, 2nd OA), Lawrenceville (2nd OA, 2nd OA), Louisville (3rd OA, 3rd OA), Road America (dnf), Indianapolis (6th OA), Montgomery (5th OA), Milwaukee (5th OA), Lawrenceville (3rd OA), Road America 500 (12th OA, 4th IC). In Fall 1959 0720TR was sold to David Biggs of Clarksville for for approximately $5.500 including spare parts, spare engine and an enclosed trailer, from 1960 thru 1963 it was raced mostly through out the Midwest. 0720TR was nick named Big Red and is the most raced 250 Testarossa, in 1963 David Biggs the 2nd owner and Jim Johnston the 1st owner finished the Road America 500 16th OA and 5th IC after David Biggs had won in Kansas City. 0720TR was mainly raced wearing race number 15, only in 1962 it started in the Road America 500 with number 65. Today 0720TR lives in Germany, in 2001 it was restored at DK Engineering, in 2002 Jeremy Cottingham drove it in the Mille Miglia.   

0722TR was sold new to Alfonso Gomez of Cuba, it was crashed in practice for theGP Cuba, it was rebuild at the factory, Gomez-Mena started with Piero Drogo in the 24h Le mans but did not finish, in Fall 1958 it was sold to Jim Hunt and Lucky casner of Florida if finshed 1st in Boca Raton and 6th in the Daytona 1000, in 1959 it was sold to Dr. Lane, David Lane raced it in 1959 and in 1964 it was raced by R. Colot.

0724TR was sold to Ecuire Francorchamps it was raced by Lucien Bianchi in Goodwood (5th), in Silverstone (6th) Willy Mairesse finshed the Aintree 200 in 4th position, it was a dns in Karlskoga (engine) and also in 1959 in the 12h Sebring race, Skip Hudson started in the 1960 Road America race.

0730TR was delivered to Edwin D. Martin of Columbus, he raced the 250 TR with John Fitch in the 12h of Sebring but dropped out of the race after 85 laps, Edwin partnered with Fernando Tavano in the 24h Le Mans, was disqualified in the Road America 500, raced in Watkins Glen and in Dunnellon, finished 3rd OA in the Governors's Trophy in Nassau and 1st in the Nassau Memorial, in 1959 he finished 6th OA with Lance Reventlow in the 12 h Sebring and dnf the 24h Le Mans in 1959 with William Kimberl, the car was rebuilt after Le Mans i8n the factory, it was sold to Pete Harrison and in 1961 it was entered by it's then owner Spencer Litchie in Nassau and Daytona.

0732TR was delivered to Chester Flynn of New York and then to J. Edward Hugus, bothe drove the TR in the 12h Sebring but had an accident in lap 58, it was rolled and badly damaged. Ernie Erickson and Ed Hugus finished 7th OA in the 24h Le Mans adn in Spetember of the same year 6th OA in Watkins Glen National, Russell Cowles was the onwer from 1959 and finished 5th in the Examiner GP in Riverside. Ted Baumgartner started in Road America twice but never finished. 

0734TR is the most original 250 TR in existance, it belonged from 1958 until 1978 to Gibbs and was never raced, since 1993 it is owned by Ralph Lauren.

0736TR was delivered to Ecurie Francorchamps, it finished 6th OA in th 1958 24h Le Mans with "Beurlys" and Alain de Changy, in 1959 it did not finish the 24h Le Mans after engine problems, today it is in the Cavallino Holdings stables in Seattle.

0738TR was delivered in 1958 to Jean-Louis Lacerda Soares, Brazil. The 250 TR was raced by raced by Jean Louis Lacerda and Luciano Della Porta and finished 1st in Bara da Tijuca. In 1961 it was sold to Giorgio Moroni, in 1953 it was rebodied on behalf of Moroni by Drogo as a 250 GTO look-a-like, in 1965 Camillo Christofaro won the Rio de Janeiro GP. In 1989 Paul Vestey became the new owner he commisioned DK to rebdoy the 250 to original specifications, in 1996 the TR was sold for $2.6mio to Chris Cox, a couple of month later Carlos Monteverde enjyoed to race the TR as the new owner. 

0742TR was delivered shortly before the Helsinki GP in 1958 to Carl-Johan Askolin of Helsinki (Finland), painted dark blue with white stripes.  Curt Lincoln finished 2nd IC in the Helsinki GP. Curt Lincoln finished 9th IC and 12th OA in th 1000km Nuerburgring race, late 1958 Scuderia Askolin ceased to exist and all cars were returned to Tore Bjurström. The 250 TR was revised by the factory and sold as anew car to Peter Monteverdi of Basel, still painted dark blue with white stripes. Monteverdi finished 1st IC in the Sierre-Montana Hillclimb as well as in Ollon-Villars Hillclimb, Alfred Hopf crashed the car in the Freiburg-Schau-ins-Land Hillclimb, the TR was sold as it was to Georges and Claude Gachnang of Aigle, the brothers upgarded the TR to TR 61 specs. The new car was called Gachnang-Ferrari 3000S "Cegga". Georges Gachnang raced the car in 1961 and 1962 from then it was stored by by Georges Gachnang, Aigle, Switzerland.

0748TR was delivered in May 1958 to Gottfried Koechert of Austria, it was co-driven by Erik Bauer at the 1000km Nuerburgring race, they finished 10th, Bauer thought the checkered flag was meant for the 550 Porsches crossing the start finish line with him and went into another racing lap on the Nordschleife, instead on a cooling down lap, he crashed and died. Luigi Chinetti became the new owner and ha the TR rebuilt in Maranello. The TR was sold to Gary Laughlin USA and campaigned by him in 1958 and 1961. Chris Cox bougth the Tr in 1998 for $4.0mio later it went to Scott Rosen and to the Davies Family.

0750TR engine only

0752TR was delivered in 1958 To Charles Hughes of Denver and driven by Dan Collins in SCCA events during 1958 and 1959, on Jun2 22nd Collins finished 3rd OA in Elkhart Lake. Since 1968 the TR is owned by Sir Anthony Bamford.

0754TR was delivered in 1958 to Jaroslav Juhan of Guatemala, he raced it together with Francis Picard in the 24h Le Mans. The Tr was sold to Stan Sugarmann and ayear later to George Keck, he raced it at Westwood and Elkhart Lake, in 1960 it was sold to Jack Graham he raced it in Santa Barbara, Marchbanks and Laguna Seca were did not finish after an accident. It was rebodied and in 1984 accuired by Newell & Love and is since then driven at many occasions by David Love.

0756TR was delivered in 1958 to Dick Morgensen who achived many respactable results including many wins. In 1979 it was onwed by Louis Sellyei of Reno and raced by him until 2001. It was sold to Carlos Hank Rhon of Mexico.

0758TR was delivered to Jose Miguel Galia of Venezuela it was raced by him in 1958, '59 and 1969. In 1959 Mauricio Marcotulli raced it in "La Trinidad" and in the GP Maracaibo. the car was "modernized with a Corvette engine, rear axle and disc brakes for Fernando BAIZthe wheels were much wider then the car. In 1981 it was imported to Italy by Edoardo Magnone he owned the remains since 1976. In 1980 Schouwenburg claimed in the Ferrari Owners Club Register he owned 0758, one of his many stories. In 1981 Massimo Colombo owned 0758 and sold it to Pietro Brigato. Since 2004 it is owned by Lukas Hueni, it is now painted white with a central blue stripe. 

0760TR not completed