1931 Bentley 8 LitreVERKOCHT

1931 Bentley 8-Litre Tourer

See all the Images for this Car

Documented, original build records and known history from new
Handwritten factory workshop records from the 1930s
Detailed photos and notes from restoration by marque specialist in the 2000s
Documented by Bentley historian Clare Hay in Bentley: The Vintage Years

Introduced at the London Motor Show in 1930, the Bentley 8-Litre made an immediate impact. While the engine was an extension of the successful 6.5-litre Speed Six that powered Bentleys to numerous race victories, the 8-Litre was intended to knock Rolls-Royce from its pedestal. Capable of 100 mph fitted with heavy formal coachwork, the Phantom had difficulty attaining 90 mph. It also impressed the automotive scribes of the era, with the Sphere of 1931 describing the new 8-Litre as ‘one of the finest examples of British automobile engineering that has ever been produced’.

Regardless of expense and engineered to the highest standards, no detail was overlooked. For example, the exhaust pipe was asbestos-lagged, encased in aluminium to reduce resonance, then coupled with a 20-gallon silencer. The resulting exhaust note is bliss to the Bentley faithful. The starter was designed to engage with surgical precision via a unique solenoid design, meshing with the flywheel before rotation begins.

Of the 100 8-Litre Bentleys built, YR5094 is the eleventh-to-last constructed. It was first delivered May 1931, wearing Thrupp and Maberly limousine coachwork, to Eu Tong Sen in Singapore, who often was accompanied by his lady friends—lending the car the moniker of ‘the harem saloon’. During WWII it was safely stored in a mine, before returning to the UK around 1950, where Peter Quinn, the next owner, removed the original body. Its next owner was Peter Morley, who shortened the chassis to a 30-inch wheelbase and fitted a stylish two-seater body suited to the vintage racing events he participated in.

The next owner, Mr Posnett, dismantled the car and returned the chassis to its original length of 12 feet. Still dismantled, it was purchased by John Cobbing in 2002, who had it restored by Bentley specialists the Vintage Workshop. The engine was completely rebuilt, including the one-shot lubrication system, clutch, carburetors, Auto-Vac, exhaust system, radiator, gearbox, 3.2:1 differential, suspension, and steering. Everything was either replaced, restored, or inspected and re-fitted to as close to as-new condition as possible.

It was then re-bodied as a Vanden Plas–style four-seater, two-door tourer. The fresh Midnight Blue paint finish enhances its lines, especially those iconic Gurney-Nutting–style helmet wings, and an era-correct original Lagonda luggage trunk was fitted over the gas tank. The interior was impeccably retrimmed using grey hides. The polished walnut instrument panel is complete with authentic black beveled speedometer, tachometer, voltage amp meter, Bosch ignition switch, ARIC oil pressure gauge, and correct switch for battery, battery/magneto, and magneto selections.

Few pre-war marques experienced as many coachwork and engine swaps as the W. O. Bentley cars, but YR5094 hides no secrets, as documented by its accompanying history file. Most 8-Litre Bentleys, like this example, were originally fitted with formal closed bodies that were eventually replaced with more sporting open tourers. The practice of replacing saloon and limousine bodies started in the 1930s, when owners began to move from the back seat to the front.

Noted motor car enthusiast David E Davis Jr was quoted in Forbes, 1991, as saying, ‘What is the highest tribute one can pay a noble, inspired million-dollar classic automobile? Simple, old boy, drive the bloody thing.’

With its exceptional provenance, wonderful condition, and rare production, this 8-Litre open tourer represents Bentley’s most masterful creations. As 2019 is the 100th Jubilee Anniversary of Bentley Motors, it is certain to be welcomed to all celebrations of the marque.



Bem documentado, com registos de produção originais e história conhecida desde novo

Registos de fábrica manuscritos datando dos anos 30

Restauro por especialista da marca meticulosamente documentado com fotos e apontamentos

Descrito pela historiadora da Bentley Clare Hay, no livro “Bentley: The Vintage Years”

Apresentado no Motor Show de Londres, em 1930, o Bentley 8-Litre teve um impacto imediato. O motor era um desenvolvimento do bem sucedido 6,5 litros Speed Six, que tinha levado os Bentley à vitória em inúmeras ocasiões. Mas com o 8-Litre o objetivo era tirar a Rolls Royce do seu pedestal. Era capaz de mais de 160 km/h, mesmo quando equipado com carroçarias mais pesadas e formais, enquanto o Phantom tinha dificuldade em atingir 145 km/h. Também impressionou os jornalistas especializados da época, com o jornal ilustrado “The Sphere”, de 1931, a descrever o novo 8-Litre como “dos melhores exemplos de sempre da qualidade de engenharia automóvel britânica.”

Sem olhar a despesas e com uma qualidade técnica do mais elevado padrão, nenhum detalhe foi negligenciado. Por exemplo, o tubo de escape estava revestido em amianto, por sua vez envolto em alumínio, para reduzir a ressonância. Estava ainda acoplado a um silencioso com 76 litros. O som de escape resultante é música para os entusiastas da Bentley. O motor de arranque foi concebido para ser acionado com suprema precisão, através de condutor único em forma de espiral, que engrena no volante de motor antes de se iniciar a rotação.

Dos 100 Bentley 8-Litre produzidos, YR5094 foi o 11º. a contar do fim, concluído com uma carroçaria de limusina fechada, realizada pela Thrupp and Maberly. Foi inicialmente entregue em maio de 1931, a Eu Tong Sen, de Singapura, que viajava nele frequentemente, acompanhado pelas suas amigas — ficou na altura conhecido como a “berlina do harém”. Durante a II Guerra Mundial foi cuidadosamente guardado numa mina, antes de regressar ao Reino Unido, por volta de 1950. Foi ali que Peter Quinn, o proprietário seguinte, retirou a carroçaria original. Peter Morley, que o adquiriu a seguir, encurtou o chassis para uma distância entre eixos de cerca de três metros, aplicando-lhe uma carroçaria desportiva de dois lugares, adequada para participar em provas de automóveis vintage.

O seu dono subsequente, Mr. Posnett, desmanchou totalmente o automóvel e devolveu o comprimento original ao chassis, incluíndo a sua majestosa distância entre eixos de 3,66 metros. Ainda em peças, o Bentley foi adquirido em 2002, por John Cobbing, que o mandou restaurar no especialista da marca The Vintage Workshop. O motor foi completamente reconstruído, incluíndo o sistema de lubrificação de ação única (com válvula one shot), embraiagem, carburadores, Auto Vac, sistema de escape, radiador, caixa de velocidades, diferencial 3,2:1, suspensão e direção. Todos os componentes foram ou substituídos, ou restaurados, ou inspecionados e re-aparelhados com um detalhe tão próximo quanto possível da condição de novo.

Foi então que recebeu uma nova carroçaria torpedo de duas portas e quatro lugares, no estilo Vanden Plas. A pintura em azul Midnight Blue realça as suas linhas, sobretudo os emblemáticos guarda-lamas de formato envolvente, reminescentes do estilo Gurney-Nutting, e uma mala de bagagem Lagonda, original e correta para a época, montada sobre o tanque de combustível. O habitáculo foi estofado de novo, com pele cinzenta. O painel de instrumentos em nogueira polida está completo com os mostradores originais biselados a preto: velocímetro, tacómetro, amperímetro, interruptor de ignição Bosch, medidor de pressão do óleo de marca ARIC e o correto interruptor para selecionar a bateria, a bateria/magneto e o magneto.

Poucas marcas do período pré-Guerra sofrera tantas trocas de carroçaria ou motor como os automóveis produzidos por W. O. Bentley, mas o YR5094 não tem segredos sobre a sua história, como está patente na documentação que o acompanha. A maior parte dos Bentley 8-Litre receberam, originalmente, carroçarias mais formais e fechadas, como foi o caso deste exemplar. Estas foram eventualmente substituídas por outras, normalmente mais desportivas e abertas. Esta tendência de substituir carroçarias de berlina ou limusina começou nos anos 30, quando os proprietários começaram a passar do banco de trás para o da frente.

O distinto entusiasta David E. Davis Jr. foi citado na revista “Forbes”, em 1991, dizendo: “Qual é a maior homenagem que se pode prestar a um nobre e inspirado automóvel clássico que vale um milhão de dólares? A resposta é simples, meu caro amigo, conduzir o danado engenho.”

Com a sua proveniência excecional, maravilhoso estado de apresentação e tão rara produção, este torpedo 8-Litre encarna a mais magistral criação da Bentley. Em 2019 comemora-se o centenário da Bentley Motors, e este exemplar será certamente bem-vindo a todos os acontecimentos de celebração da marca. To view this car and others currently consigned to this auction, please visit the RM website at rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/pg19.

Reference Number 582265

as of 9/24/2019

Overzicht
Car 1931 Bentley 8 Litre
Meer foto's
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this CarSee all the Images for this Car
See all the Images for this Car